55 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Ok, so i kind of stole this idea from Aquarium1, but i just thought i would show you from start to finish how this new tank goes. My fiance finally decided she wanted another tank (wooo hooo :)) so i got rid of the 30 gallon (the death trap) and bought this one. I got it from craigslist for $100, it came with stand, tank, hoods/lights, aqua-tech 30-60, aqua-tech 5-15, several cartridges, 2 powerheads, 200w heater, thermometer, gravel, background (i hate it, she loves it), about 20 fake plants, 2 neon caves (already in the trash), a "no skinny dipping" decoration, a full bottle of "ick clear", a full box of jungle buddies ick tablets, 2 bottles of stress coat, a bottle of stress zyme, a big long handled alge scraper, a big piece of "fake" driftwood, and a bottle of tank clear (already in trash). here are two pictures of it just now after ive got it set up trying to clean out all the gunk where they never did a gravel vac. More pics to come. Oh and btw, still havent figured out what fish she wants, but im sure it'll be interesting lol...

Last edited:
Here are a few more progression pictures. Im up to the point of cleaning and adding my filters. Im going to run 2 Aqua-tech 30-60's on it, rated for a 60 gallong tank each, the two should keep the water nice and clean. So it looks fairly cool actually, im very surprised at how good it does look. Im not much on the colorful backgrounds, but with the fake plants and wood "theme" to it, it looks pretty good. PFS is in the near future, i just honestly dont feel like driving 20 minutes to meijer to get it today. So what do you guys think so far? Im sure this will be a quick cycle, as im using filter cartridges that i had on my 150 as well as the ones they had just replaced a week ago. :clown:

Last edited:
Something wrong with the substrate. I just cant put my finger on it....hmmmmmmmm. Just kidding. Looks great!

Something wrong with the substrate. I just cant put my finger on it....hmmmmmmmm. Just kidding. Looks great!
hmmm, lets see... PFS?? that will come, i just thought with the look of the tank right now, along with not feeling like going out anymore, i would just go with the pea gravel for now.

Cant wait to see it up and running... im in the process of planning a stand for my 55.. that way i dont have to use the mini pool table lol

It's not pfs, but it does look nice the way it is. :)

It looks fantabulous. Now when will we see alllll those guppies you planned to put in it? :mrgreen:

No, no plants... Id say it'll end up with some sort of cichlids in it... maybe peacocks, maybe mbuna, maybe angels, who knows... Its all up to the fiance, and she hates real plants, but loves the fake ones for some reason...

Well, just thought id give you an update... Today, she picked out 6 zebra danios and 2 dwarf gouramis. So now it has those, along with a julii cory (all his/her friends died in the "death trap" aka 30g... gotta get some more). Checked the params today, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate- 15ppm, ph-7.4, temp 76... Gotta love those instant cycles :)

not yet, batteries are dead :( Ill have pics in the next couple days, though it looks exactly the same as before. You cant even see the fish because of the plants lol

Nice find. I agree, i don't like the background, but as for me i am not married. :)

Nice find. I agree, i don't like the background, but as for me i am not married. :)
im actually starting to grow somewhat fond of the whole look. I have to admit, i like the look of my 150 better, but this is nice. I think the jungle of plants is what kind of makes it look better. Oh, i added the crabs too... Since the crabs are hers, she wanted them in her tank. They like their new home lol

Back
Top Bottom