55 gallon FOWLR startup =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaaaaalicia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was given a 55 gallon hexagon with stand last year, and am FINALLY getting it up and running! I've got it filled and disinfecting now, saltwater will be prepared over the next week, and I'll be expecting the filter to be delivered this weekend :0) last thing to order is dry live rock, and I'm ready to set up and start cycling! Whoop!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry. Spelled "disinfecting" wrong. Could be because I've been up for 2 days with a hospitalized husband and my brain is oatmeal. So, to get back to the subject, have you got any sand yet, plans on how to cycle the tank, and what kind of filter is on order? I already have a reef tank, but am currently putting together a FOWLR. I have a very dead cocktail shrimp in the 40 breeder, which I forgot to remove before we left for he hospital. Either my house will reek, or one of my cats will have dove in after it.:banghead:

I'm disinfected with granulated chlorine, circulated with my old HOB filter for about 24 hrs, then neutralized with sodium thiosulfate and rinsed.

For filtration, I purchased a Sunsun 4-stage canister with UV, and as for cycling, I've got 40 lbs CaribSea ocean direct live sand and live rock on the way.

=)

I disinfected*

Hope your shrimp didn't stink up the place! ;)

OK, that went thru, so here we go again. Have you done SW before? In case you don't already know, make sure you rinse that tank really well. The HOB you're using might be toast now with those chemicals.
I, as well, am using CaribSea Ocean Direct sand, and live dry rock. I have also ordered PurpleUp to try to start coloring the rocks a bit before the fish. I used BioSpira to hopefully bump up the cycle. One of my brand new heaters fried the night before we left, so I put a smaller, used one in to help the other keep the tank reasonably warm. Will deal with that when I get home, too.
Sounds like you're well on the way and I hope it goes really well. I look forward to hearing more about your tank as it progresses.:fish2:

I'm a marine biologist at a public aquarium, I specialize in Indo-Pacific fishes and invertebrates. So yes, I've done saltwater before haha ;) Granulated chlorine is one of the disinfectants we use for our tools, etc., to prevent cross contamination, and to sterilize hospital tanks after use. Sodium thiosulfate deactivates the chlorine and is perfectly safe, all that is needed after using is to rinse well with freshwater. I've used it with plenty of hang on back filters, no need to worry :)

I may add a bio-starter, that is to be determined...

You know, you had me fooled until, after my last posting, I asked my engineer husband what those chemicals were. I was a little embarrassed as to the HOB comment. But, you fooled me again with the fact that you are a Marine biologist, so yeah, you do know SW. I think I'll ask you all my questions from now on. Just kidding, as we all share our similarities and differences in this hobby. I am happy you are setting up a tank of your own. Whoops! I'm assuming this is going to be your only, at home, SW tank. What are you thinking of putting in it? In mine, I have no real idea. I am aware that you build a tank around the fishes, but I've always been a bit backward. I'll decide after I do more research. And more research.;)

Of course I don't know everything, but I'd be happy to answer questions and share ideas with you!! I've only been in this profession for 4 years, and I'm finishing up my Master's in marine ecology and conservation this semester. I have learned a lot, but this is an area where the learning never stops ;) I for sure want some jawfish, and I'll probably have some banggais (I breed them as part of my thesis), and eventually this may turn into a reef tank, so all my options are up in the air right now. We'll see what the rock looks like when it gets here!

Good morning! Did you order from Bulk Reef Supply, by chance? And what kind of rock did you get? I have 30lbs of regular dry rock and 20lbs of Figi. Didn't need all the regular and saved some rubble to place around. Only got 40lbs of sand, so the jaw fish is out. Have a Pajama Cardinal in my reef tank. Banggais are on my first list, but I've already bumped a few. We'll see what happens. :)

Welcome! I'd just like to comment on the "Purple Up". You don't need this Tricia. What you need is to seed the tank with coralline algae. Coralline will never grow if it's not present. All you need after that is parameters close to NSW and a light source.

A local reefer or the LFS should have some on a rock or something in one of their tanks. All you need are a few scrapings. Literally scrape it off of a rock or shell or something and let it blow around the tank....in no time you'll see it growing.

Great, Doug. This is one thing I've never heard of. I'll see if I can get some from my reef. If not, when the husband is well enough, I will make a trip to the LFS. Learn something new everyday.(y)

Yup, bulk reef supply. I will be ordering pukani once it's back in stock, with some BRS reef saver dry live rock as well. Between the live rock and sand, I think I'll cycle fine if I let it run for a month. We'll see what the water quality results are then :) pukani seems to be in high demand, it goes out of stock as soon as they get it in! :\ but I have some cosmetic work to do on the stand before I fill anyway, hopefully I can get that done this weekend so I can get this tank up and running!!

Pukani is great rock. I got Figi because they were out of Pukani, but I'm not disappointed. The reef saver rock is very dirty and needed to be rinsed for quite a while. I was very pleased with the caves and swimming spaces it already had or I could create. The Figi is a much lighter colored rock and tended to break easier when chiseled. The contrast in the colors made the scape very pretty. Oh, and the shrimp did not smell up the place! :lol:
Once I get some much needed rest, I will take measurements and see where the tank is. It won't hurt it just to sit there, so I'm not in a hurry.
Did BRS tell you an approximate date of delivery on the Pukani?

I signed up for the email alert to notify me when they get more Pukani in, which they did ... Last week? ... But it was already out of stock again by the time I went order :( I've never used the reef saver dry live rock, is it heavy as well as dirty? I may rethink that choice.

Hope your husband is doing well and you're getting some rest!

Thank you about my husband. He's still in some pain and we are sleeping in our recliners off and on. But he should be pretty good in a day or two. He has another surgery scheduled for 2/27 so we have to get ready for that. We are just trying to make it to May, when we have a beautiful cruise and land tour of Alaska planned. He will be much better and raring to go by then.
Now, as to the Pukani, it really is going in and out fast. I know it will be worth it, but it may be awhile before you can get it, and that is so disappointing. I wonder if there is any other place you can get it?
The reef rock is heavy. Some of the larger pieces I used, I had to use both hands to carry from garage to livingroom. But it is easy to work with as to breaking it up and making holes. You will have a two color aquascape though, which may not be in your plans. And the sand we're using blows around considerably and took 5 days to settle. I will smoothe out the sand, blow off the rocks, take out the malfunctioning heater and the powerhead and rinse it, put it in clear water and run it to get the sand out. Hopefully, I can get this done around taking care of my husband.:nono:

Back
Top Bottom