55 gallon new companions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbles1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey there,
i have a 55 gallon community tank and recently(about a few weeks ago) there was a small ick infestation and a majority of the fish passed away. the survivors were 3 gold and blue gouramis, 6 guppies, 6 silver tips, 1 albino bristles nose pleco , 2 pepper cories , two bolivian rams , two kribs (male struggling with eye infection but will most likley make it).

the ick has past on and everything has recovered, i was thinking of restocking with some new small fishes that are peaceful and schooling or something cool like that, but also one or two large primary fish to focus on, the tank is fully planted and functioning well. if you could give me some recommendations that would be great!:D

thanks for the advice i will look into that but do you know if it matters if the corries species are the same or will they just ignore the other species, another thing would be about the silver tips, they never tend to school and most research Ive done show they are fin nippers and school in larger numbers only. and with the gouramis , they are getting larger then i expected and becoming increasingly aggressive. i was thinking about bringing them back to the shop for some credits and purchase new community fish, what should i do?

It'll be best if the cory species are the same. If the gouramis are aggressive, you can go ahead and bring them back and get something less aggressive. =] That's what I'd do. Or keep just one and take two back. Gouramis are best kept singly, at least the males. I'd get a few more cories and a few more silver tips. However, I am also concerned about there being two pairs species of dwarf cichlids in a small floorspace like that. I would watch that closely for any sign of aggressive behavior.

thanks, the dwarf cichlids are fine together they are on separate sides of the tank with plenty of hiding in case of anything, but i was thing of instead of gouramis something like angels or festivums or maybe even a severum and perhaps some other schooling fish, but i guess im not very experienced so what do you think? or something unique to put in :)

ye the dwarf cichlids are find to have 2 pairs in a 55 just nothing less. you might could add an angel if you took the gouramis out but id be scared for its fins.

bubbles1 said:
thanks, the dwarf cichlids are fine together they are on separate sides of the tank with plenty of hiding in case of anything, but i was thing of instead of gouramis something like angels or festivums or maybe even a severum and perhaps some other schooling fish, but i guess im not very experienced so what do you think? or something unique to put in :)

I would just add some sort of tetra school and leave it at that.

alright, but i were to get tetra what is the best schooling tetra one that is a tight schooler?

i came up with a conclusion!! tell me what you think
take out silver tips and gouramis i found them to aggressive.
2 kribs 2 b rams 6 pepper cories, 2 dwarf gouramis , 6 hatchets 8 rummynose one pleco 6 guppies 2 zebra loaches??? its what i came up with but one thing i was thinking was like a ghost knife or gold severum or a trio of festivums?

i think the hatchets are over doing it and the gouramis will fight and you shouldnt have anything else on the bottom

bruinsbro1997 said:
A black ghost knife needs it's own tank.

What do you mean? From what I heard they are community fish and will even hand feed, other then the fact that they get large and eat small fish I understand they are nice fish. Just my ¢2.

Whoops! Sorry this is just me and my spastic typing. This is what happens all the time, I mean something, type something completely different, someone points it out, and I end up correcting myself.

I meant black ghost knives should be kept one per tank, and while they're not the "best" community fish, you can keep them with medium-sized schooling fish like some rainbows and bigger tetras, as well as less-agressive cichlids and the like. Also if you keep a black knife get it PVC piping, it will help it in the long run.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Whoops! Sorry this is just me and my spastic typing. This is what happens all the time, I mean something, type something completely different, someone points it out, and I end up correcting myself.

I meant black ghost knives should be kept one per tank, and while they're not the "best" community fish, you can keep them with medium-sized schooling fish like some rainbows and bigger tetras, as well as less-agressive cichlids and the like. Also if you keep a black knife get it PVC piping, it will help it in the long run.

Lol, its fine, whenever im on my phone it corrects me and twists my words.

Back
Top Bottom