55 gallon restock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I as I was beginning to start my water change I noticed one of the Australians bobbing on the surface. I monitored him for 15 min and he ended up dying :( ill probably end up getting another when I pick up my turquoise.

Attachments

• image-854199369.jpg
    image-854199369.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 40
I have had some Rainbows die on me as well. Usually it isn't the fish, they have been in a small tank where one or two get picked on due to Rainbows needing a lot of space to swim. At least the Australian Rainbows are usually the cheapest of the Rainbow fish so hopefully your not out too much money.

Nah not bad luck. Just a bad fish. I had two Axelrod Rainbows die on me because they were in a tank with barbs and had been beaten up. They were $9.50 a piece that I never re-couped. But that's part of the aquarium building experience, a little risk but better reward. If that's a picture of your healthy Australian Rainbow he is looking good

I'm going to stock my custom 45 with Amazon River tetras. I really like the look of colorful schooling fish. I plan to make a group of Congo Tetras the "main attraction".

My moral dilemma, per se, is that I'd LOVE to add a pair of beautiful Rainbow Fish but that would blow my "Amazon River" theme. :hide: I will try to resist the Rainbows....

A school of Congo Tetras are beautiful with good lighting.

CMOS

I love rainbows too, but seriously fully grown healthy congos just can't be beat IMO

So now that I have my full group of rainbows in (2 boseami, 2 Australian, and 1 turquoise) I figured they would start to become more confident and move about in their new home. They have been in the tank for a week and a half now and they almost never leave the corner with my heater. All other fish are fine and the temp of the tank is 80.

Attachments

• image-2951907684.jpg
    image-2951907684.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 40
JW,

Are they eating?

If I had to take a guess I'd suggest that maybe they want the comfort of some cover when they swim around - of which you really have little.

Thoughts on adding some tall arty plants to give them some cover?

CMOS

Yeah they are eating. I would really rather not add any plants because I'm liking the wood and rock look I have right now. I'll experiment and see what works best.

Looks great. Rainbows are the best! That Turquoise will really blue up in a few months

Back
Top Bottom