55 gallon starts today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally picked up a 55 gallon aquarium today. It came used with a stand, heater, 2 Whisper 30-60s, wood, rocks, and various fake plants and gravel. Plus hood an lights. It's pretty much the 55 gallon tanks you can get at walmart. So I never like the whisper brands to much so I picked up an aqua clear 110 to supplement one of the whispers. Hopefully sometime I can fully eliminate the whispers. Anyway, also have a koralia 750 powerhead. Tonight the rocks and wood go in and the heater is placed in and filters are on. I'm debating to fill with water tonight or just to wait. I was wondering about the powerhead, how far into the water can you place it? Is the cord safe underwater? Common sense says no, but curiosity says maybe.
Any suggestions on setups for a 55. General info about tanks this size etc. It's a big step from my little 5 gallon.

You can put the operettas wherever you want. They are water proof. I placed mine so it swirls the water around the front of the tank making it easier for the filters to work. Plus, I like to watch the fish swimming against the current. What can I say, easily amused.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Operettas stupid spell check I meant powerhead

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Congrats on your new tank! :D I have a 55 gallon FW that I setup 8 mo's or so ago. If you want any ideas for your tank, feel free to click on the link in my signature.

I have a Penguin 550 Powerhead that I use as a mid-tank aerator, (primarily to help oxygenate the water when using meds). So to answer your question, and like Fdsh5 stated, they can be placed anywhere. Mine is located on the right-rear of the tank, near the heater and filter intake tube.

I did modify mine somewhat though. I slid an extra HOB intake tube over the grate intake cone that came w/ the powerhead. I did this to help eliminate the chance that a fish would get sucked up into it. I have the bottom of the tube resting on the gravel and using a suction cup to hold the cord in place so the powerhead wouldn't move. I then have an air hose placed in the opening for one and took off the diffuser attachment to create a better effect.

I originally setup the powerhead as a temporary thing, but my fish, (especially my Gold Dust Mollies), love swimming against the current... so guess it's there to stay. lol

Do you have any idea what type of fish you want to add to your tank once it's setup?

I'm not exactly sure. I like the idea of a small cichlid tank. I'm also thinking of some type of planted community tank.

You're welcome! Best of luck w/ your tank... I'm sure it's going to be beautiful! :D

Oh and I originally wanted to have Cichlids, but since it was technically my husband's tank, (not to mention, he wears the pants in the family), we went w/ a variety of community fish.

Well heres some pics of the progress so far. I've gone ahead and filled the tank an got the filters going.

Attachments

• image-3088669216.jpg
    image-3088669216.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image-280856261.jpg
    image-280856261.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1555507519.jpg
    image-1555507519.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 69
Looking good!

I liked the idea of the 55 community tank. IMO the cichchilds tank will require a lot more rocks and hiding spots for them

Ya, I realize the tank would need more rocks IF I decide to go that direction. As of now I'm leaning away from cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom