55 Gallon Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juventus7shop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, what's up?! I've been on this forum for a while, but haven't posted in a little bit...?. So anyways, I'm considering setting up a 55 gallon tank and I'm trying to plan out my stocking right now.

So, after some extensive reading, I've come up with a very general stocking idea, meaning I know the type of fish I want but I'm not sure about the species.

Therefore, two questions:
-Will this stocking list work in a 55 gal
-What specific species should I get (especially interested in your advice on the centerpiece cichlid)

-1 school of Corydoras (probably Schultz's or Sterbai)
-1 sucker mouth catfish (between 6-8"; need suggestions on this one)
-1 or two schools of smaller shoaling fish (tetras possibly)
-1 large centerpiece fish (preferably a larger cichlid; also need suggestions on this one)

Thanks in advance for you answers and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So basically, would the school of tetras (or 2) be compatible with a large SA cichlid?

Any advice would be great guys!! Thanks!

6 sterbai cories
1 clown pleco
13 cardinal tetras
11 threadfin rainbowfish
1 keyhole cichlid

I recommend Otocinclus as your suckermouth catfish, they get to 2", so a little smaller than you wanted, and need to be kept in schools, but are great for eating algae. A school of them look very effective.

Sterbai Cories are nice, good choice.

For the schooling fish, Tetras such as Neons are popular, but I especially like Rummynose Tetras. You could also consider some of the more peaceful Barbs, such as Cherry Barbs.

For the centrepiece cichlid, you could do a pair of angelfish, but I've heard they can be kind of risky with smaller fish, and I believe the same goes for other large cichlids. Instead of a large cichlid as the centrepiece, you could do a gourami such as a Pearl Gourami, and have a species of dwarf cichlid if you like cichlids, such as Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids or German Blue Rams?

In my 55 gallon, I have a trio of Pearl Gouramis, a school of Cherry Barbs, a school of Rummynose Tetras, a school of Marbled Hatchetfish, a school of Kuhli Loaches, a school of Sterbai Cories, a trip of Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids and some cherry shrimp.

You can play around on aqadviser.com and get more ideas on stocking levels and any compatibility.

Ask anymore questions if you have any, and good luck with your tank!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thank you everyone for the advice! I like pearl Gouramis! So does that mean Pearls are compatible with dwarf cichlids?

If so, how does this sound:
6-8x Sterba's Corydoras
1x Clown Pleco or ?x Otocinclus
10-12x Rummynose Tetra
4-5x Pearl Gourami
2x Dwarf Cichlid (Pair)

Thanks everyone!

I disagree with otocinclus being with the rest of that stock list. They prefer a little bit colder water, and most of those other species such as dwarf cichlids prefer warmer water. The water will also need to be kept cold enough for the cories, however.

What dwarf cichlids do you guys recommend?

I personally like Crested Dwarf Cichlids, but German Blue Rams are nice as well. Crested Dwarf Cichlids are best kept with 1 male and a few females.

Also, if you intend to keep Pearl Gouramis, just note that male Pearl Gouramis can be aggressive to eachother, so I'd suggest 1 male and a few females

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Wouldn't the pleco create issues with the corydoras? I thought you couldn't "mix" bottom feeder fish like plecos and corys?

I don't know... I checked out this stocking list on aqadvisor today and it said it was at 99% capacity. The only compatibility issue it pointed out was that during breeding season, the Gouramis may become aggressive towards the tetras.

Here's the list:
-7x Sterba's Corydoras (Corydoras Sterbai)
-1x Clown Plecostomus (Panaque Maccus)
-4x Pearl Gouramis (Trichogaster Leerii)
-11x Rummynose Tetras (idk?)
-2x Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlids (Apistogramma Agasizzi)

If that's a concern, you could always just get one male gourami if you're not that bothered about breeding them.

Back
Top Bottom