55 Gallon Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximonte209

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. I know this question comes up alot but is prob mostly due to the fact that there are som many variables and compatibility concerns etc. Anyways, I have a 55 gallon tank I am getting set up , is a upgrade from my 30 gallon which the stock has outgrown thus the need to upgrade. I was looking for any ideas as far as what I could add with the new tank with my current stock. I am looking for something possibly larger than my current stock since I could possibly have the room and being that my current stock is mostly smaller fish due to the size of the original tank.

In the 55 gallon so far:
6 Blackskirt Tetras
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Electric blue ram
1 Dwarf Gourami
4 Cory Cats
4 Oto's
1 Angelicus Loach
and 6 Ghost shrimp (May end up loach food but have made it 6 months so far )

As stated before, I would like to add something that will get larger than what I currently have but then again don't want anything to become a tasty meal or get stressed. Had some bad luck with larger gouramis and my dwarf in the past so not really wanting to go that direction either. Otherwise I was thinking just to add another Dwarf Gourami and possibly another school of tetras or something. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Maximonte209

I would not get another dwarf gourami, they are better alone. You might want to get more Cory cats they enjoy havering others in a school.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I actually was planning on getting a few more cory's to get a solid school. And also at least 2 more loaches. Right now he just hangs out with the cory's and seems to enjoy their company but I know he would be happier with a couple other loaches. Main reason I got him to begin with was because I had a pond snail overpopulation issue from some live plants I got which he solved very quickly. With that aside, was talking to the wife and what about angels? I have read that they do well with the fish that I have , the tetras would be my only concern but if need be I can always move them.

Thanks Again
Maximonte

If you get a mating pair of angels they will become territorial and probably pick on your other fish...Definitely get more cories and/or loaches...maybe another school of bigger tetras?

More loaches- not because your lone one wants a school (although he does) but because you can NEVER have too many loaches. Put 4 more angelicus loaches in there and watch them become your favorite fish in the tank!

Sincerely, someone whose 150 gallon tank is the result of a loach addiction.

Back
Top Bottom