55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there! I am a newbie here and I have recently set up a 55 gallon tropical tank, which is home to 4 cherry barbs at the moment, and I am working out what I am going to stock it with. This is an idea I had. I am not sure if it is too much, so any advice would be great, as it is all a bit confusing!

10 x Cherry Barbs
10 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
15 x Rummynose Tetras
8 x Kuhli Loaches
8 x Panda Corydoras

This may be overstocked, I am not sure! I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Yes that is slightly over stocked what type of filter do you have. How long have you been running the aquarium.

Before you add any more fish you need to establish your biological filtration. ( run through the nitrogen cycle) Meaning the tank has to run for a minimum of three weeks with fish in it if not performing a fishless cycle. I would start by buying a liquid test kit. (API has a good one) ( it should test for ph nitrite nitrate and ammonia). Once that is done test for ammonia nitrite and nitrate. You will most likely have high levels of ammonia and perhaps nitrite depending on how long the tank has been running. If you have ammonia you will then have to do a pwc. To bring it down. I could go on but I won't until you answer some of my questions.

I have a Fluval U4 Internal on it (It was what came with the tank). I am doing a fish Cycle with a few cherry barbs, and I have an API Liquid Test Kit.

It has been running a week so far
Thanks for the replies

Sorry, I meant Fish In Cycling

My levels are about:

Nirtite - 0.25 PPM
Nitrate - It appears to be between 30 and 40 PPM
Ammonia - 0.25 PPM

When Fish in cycling, how often should I change the water? My LFS said that I should get my water tested again, and if it is safe, I could add more cherry barbs. Should I just leave it as it is for now?

Sorry for all of the questions

Sorry, I meant Fish In Cycling

My levels are about:

Nirtite - 0.25 PPM
Nitrate - It appears to be between 30 and 40 PPM
Ammonia - 0.25 PPM

When Fish in cycling, how often should I change the water? My LFS said that I should get my water tested again, and if it is safe, I could add more cherry barbs. Should I just leave it as it is for now?

kinda new to all this fishy stuff, but I am doing a fish IN cycle on my 20 gallon and a fishLESS on my 90 g.
that being said, you really need to get your OWN liquid test kit - API master kit is the suggested one to buy. it will run you around $25 -$35 depending on where you buy it. test your water yourself! see what your numbers are and change water accordingly. the reccomendation is that you do PWC (Partial Water Change) anytime your ammonia is at or above .25 and I think the same with the nitrites. you want to keep your nitrAtes below 40ppm or so. you will not be getting accurate test results unless you are doing your own tests at home with the liquid kit.

Now that we have that covered. yes, IMO you could go ahead and get another 3 or so cherry barbs. you just need to keep that water in check. get your kit, test it, do your PWC to get your numbers in line, add your fish, test daily and keep doing daily PWC for the next several months because that is what you are going to end up doing with a fish IN cycle. the more fish you have in your tank the faster the ammonia will build up. the more ammonia, the more water changes. if you don't mind doing the water changes you can add a few more fish. if you don't want to do as many water changes you could keep your fish level where it is, but this will not guarantee that you will still not be doing lots of water changes.

hope this helps!

Thank You Heather! I do have my own API Liquid Test Kit, but I was unsure of what levels were safe for adding more cherry barbs. Thank you for your advice, that's very helpful

Would adding a centerpiece (Dwarf Gourami) be pushing it too much?
IMO yes. you need to stay with the hardier fish while you are cycling. I had a powder blue dwarf gourami in my 20g and he didn't make it. I thought everything was going fine, but they just don't like the fluctuations as much. wait until your tank is established and then get him. I was told the fancier they look the less hardy they are.

you could possible try the tetras - need to ask someone with a little more experience with me. I think they might be hardy enough to put in there - but only one school of them. not both

IMO yes. you need to stay with the hardier fish while you are cycling. I had a powder blue dwarf gourami in my 20g and he didn't make it. I thought everything was going fine, but they just don't like the fluctuations as much. wait until your tank is established and then get him. I was told the fancier they look the less hardy they are.

Sorry, I meant when it is fully established and set up, would it be ok with my stock list. Sorry I didn't explain myself that well :ermm:

10 x Cherry Barbs
10 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
15 x Rummynose Tetras
8 x Kuhli Loaches
8 x Panda Corydoras

This may be overstocked, I am not sure! I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
so this is what you want and you want to add the dwarf gourami in there too. 55 gallon? I think you are getting full. you can definitely add the gourami in there, but you probably need to take some of the others out. I loved my gourami! he added so much color in the tank!! I have heard that the dwarf variety are not as hardy as the full sized ones.

Thanks! What do you think I should remove?

wish i could answer that better for you. I think we need someone with more experince to help here. Mumma or Librarygirl both have lots of experience. maybe they will chime in and help out

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it :)
As the Bleeding Hearts grow fairly large, should I make the number smaller?

As an alternative to some of the species, would I be able to add a few yoyo or zebra loaches (obviously instead of some of them!)?
Kind of unrelated question but is it normal for aquariums to be mirrored on the inside?

Back
Top Bottom