55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Khij159753 said:
So are there any fish that will breed in a tank with more than just that species in it? I was hoping to keep a couple bristle nosed plecos (hoping they'll breed), then 1 or 2 other species that I was hoping would breed also. Is that just not gonna happen?

Live bearers and stuff, but if you are breeding fish most of the time you don't want a full stock list or multiple fish.

Okay cause I was hoping for 2 BN plecos and a couple other species that would breed in the 55. That'd work right? They wouldn't have to be big fish. I'd like decent sized fish not like guppy size, but if that's all I could breed I would be okay with breeding some schools.

Khij159753 said:
Okay cause I was hoping for 2 BN plecos and a couple other species that would breed in the 55. That'd work right? They wouldn't have to be big fish. I'd like decent sized fish not like guppy size, but if that's all I could breed I would be okay with breeding some schools.

Yeah but what would you do with all the babies breeding multiple fish?

Selling them back to lfs, giving to friends and or, getting more tanks. If all else fails give them to my lfs if he won't give me in store credit. Better him selling them, then them being cramped. I don't necessarily want to keep all the babies, I just like the feeling I get from knowing I have baby fishies and raise them. I still have the guppy I raised from birth and he's my favorite cause I've had him sense birth :)

Khij159753 said:
Selling them back to lfs, giving to friends and or, getting more tanks. If all else fails give them to my lfs if he won't give me in store credit. Better him selling them, then them being cramped. I don't necessarily want to keep all the babies, I just like the feeling I get from knowing I have baby fishies and raise them. I still have the guppy I raised from birth and he's my favorite cause I've had him sense birth :)

Ok but you'll need another tank for the babies specifically. And I would try breeding a simple fish first before going to multiple fish breeding.

Okay well this tank won't be set up for quite some time and once it is I'll probably just get the fish and let them do their thing. Also aren't there some fish where their parents raise them? Couldn't i just get those fish? Then I wouldn't need another tank right? (I probably will have another tank, just asking for informational purposes.)

Khij159753 said:
Okay well this tank won't be set up for quite some time and once it is I'll probably just get the fish and let them do their thing. Also aren't there some fish where their parents raise them? Couldn't i just get those fish? Then I wouldn't need another tank right? (I probably will have another tank, just asking for informational purposes.)

There are some, but with multiple species the eggs and fish get eaten is higher

Oh okay. Sounds good. Thanks for all the info :) I'm still not sure if I'm gonna breed some fish and have a tank like that or if i will just have a tank with fish i find and like at my lfs with no particular purpose besides to look cool :)

Back
Top Bottom