55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well all my livebearers didnt make it through my cycle except for the fry. All I have left are my 4 Synos. I also found out what kind of Synos they were, they are Featherfin Synos. My 55 gallon has maybe 2 weeks left of cycling and I been thinking of wht to stock in my aquarium since most my fish didnt make it. Got my Synos in my 10 gallon for now. Wouldnt mind everyones opinions on what I should get, here is what I am thinking so far.

4 Synos - asumming they make it through the remaining few days of the cycle left in my 10 gallon.
GBRs
Boseman Rainbow
Hillstream Loaches

Those are what Im really wanting in my tank, wouldnt mind a few other species. Any ideas on how my stock list should look with the fish I really want and maybe some others, maybe a school of something.

hilsteams love very fast currents and colder water, i don't think they would be well suited for your tank ,sorry.

GBR's are very hard to care for(so i have heared), they are very sensitive fish. Bolivian rams are a little more hardy, but if you are up to the challange, go for it!

Rainbows will be nice

I like the idea of tetras too, and how about a smaller type of pleco?

2 weeks left? thats a big cycle, you dont have any old filter media left to jump start it?

silver dollars, pic cats, glass cats, plecos, gouramis, neons, possibilities are endless, do you have anything in mind?

WaterPond said:
GBR's are very hard to care for(so i have heared)
if you get captive breed ones they are not that bad, IMO. As long as you are totally finished with the cycle, and keep up on your PWC, GBR should be fine. Bolivians are nice too though :D (i have a pair of each in my 75 gal)

WaterPond said:
hilsteams love very fast currents and colder water, i don't think they would be well suited for your tank ,sorry.

GBR's are very hard to care for(so i have heared), they are very sensitive fish. Bolivian rams are a little more hardy, but if you are up to the challange, go for it!

Rainbows will be nice

I like the idea of tetras too, and how about a smaller type of pleco?

I agree with waterpond: hillstreams not suited to your setup. With the synos you also have your bottom feeding fish pretty much sorted I'd think but a smaller plec might work ok (like a clown plec: hey, I'm on a 'selling' spree trying to convince people to get these, they're great!).
With a 55 and synos have you thought about a cichlid setup at all?

Back
Top Bottom