55 Gallon with high nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well actually hes like 2-3 inches... hey wait a minute, you must be online right now, since you are replying so fast, lol. thanks for your help (in advance). The research that I have done implies that the bala shark will only grow to about 5 to 7 inches in an aquarium setting. But he is quite docile and I think the other fish, especially those freakin tiger barbs, see him as sick/weak or just an easy target to pick on. Well i guess thats it for now, I am going on ebay to check for small tanks, like those little 5 gallon bow front eclipse tanks. Just for emergency/hospital/quarantine reasons. Sound good??
I was thinking that when I get the new tank, i will drain a little water from my 55 gallon thats just about done cycling ( i hope!) maybe it will give it a jump start and easier for fish to adapt when I have to take them out of the big tank for any reason.

Well, as for eclipse tanks I am not a fan, I love glass. It seems stronger. I think a 7 gallon allglass bow would be great, but I have also been looking on eBay for one. Well, the 14 inch was a big guess, they do get large though. Let him get 7 inches and then let those barbs have at him. And yes I am online!

haha ok i just went on ebay and there isnt really much good right now, just a 5 gallon bow front (used) with a few accessories for $43. I bid on a petco 5 gallon (brand new), for $21.99. I guess I would have to find a little 25 watt heater for it, which was on ebay (new) for $3.75.... starting to look good... hehe. I guess what I will do is fill it up, add some gravel, plants and a few small fish (maybe guppies, even though i hate them) and leave it be... hopefully i will never have to add any hospital fish, but it will be there "just in case" BTW, right now im knocking on wood, cos now that i said that all my fish will get ick, fin rot, worms, head disease, and constipation, LOL thats my luck :lol: well anyways, thanks for being online at an opportune time for me. I appreciate your help :!:

I know how it is, its MTS! (multiple tank syndrome)

Good luck on the bidding.

BTW I dont really like guppies either, but I have always wanted to breed them! Sounds like fun.

Yeah i have read a few posts on here about people "accidentally" breeding fish. Yet again, that would be my luck. Actually ive had a similiar experience with snails when i was a young boy... i started out with 2 snails, quickly became "2 many".
hehe well anyways, off i go... ive been really sick lately and im gonna go eat some chicken noodle soup!! thanks again everybody... pretty soon ill take some pictures of my set up for everybody to see 8O hehe

Pictures sound great, and as for the snails, you really have to be careful, my Biology teacher got 6, put them in a vase next to the window, over Christmas break it turned into 60 million!

Well, insofar as the salt goes, I only use it for sick fish. ( I actually have a quarantine tank set up now, a minor miracle!). All the rest of my tanks are planted, and most of the plants i have will not tolerate any salt, so, no salt for me.
I was thinking that when I get the new tank, i will drain a little water from my 55 gallon thats just about done cycling ( i hope!) maybe it will give it a jump start and easier for fish to adapt when I have to take them out of the big tank for any reason

2 other things you can do to jump start the new tank: thake a bowl of gravel from your existing tank and set it in the new tank, the bacteria will spread quickly. Also, I like to take the sponge from existing filter and squeeze some gunk out and swoosh it around in the new tank, I believe that also seeds the new tank with bacteria.

However, if you have any disease, or suspect disease, in the old tank, don't do either of these things to avoid cross-contamination.

Back
Top Bottom