55 gallons on the second floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just purchased a 55 gallon fish tank and a wooden stand for it. I live in an apartment on the second floor. Upon consideration, I am a bit reluctant to set it up. I do not want to flood my neighbor downstairs. I am guessing once filled, the whole tihng will weigh about 800 pounds with the stand.
Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be concerned? I already have a 30 gallon tank on a wrought iron stand. The new fish tank will be across the room from the existing one.
Is there a way I can check the load bearing on the floor?
Thx

Your landlord should have access to the load-bearing capacity of your flooring. I have a 55 gallon on the second floor with no problems, but I would still check out your particular situation. Insurance is always a good idea when it comes to a potentially expensive clean-up bill and replacing anything broken...

I have renters insurance. It is required where I live. But I likely would have got it anyway, as I have many pets. I am very fortunate to have a good land lord who allows me to have my animals.

If you landlord is pretty nice, which it seems like he/she is, contact them. They'll be willing to work with you.

My girlfriend and I were thinking about moving upstairs in our apartment (larger rooms) and the owners said a tank larger than a 55 would work. The floors upstairs are supported by concrete and steel. Buildings are rather old so they are well built.

MyCatsDrool said:
I have renters insurance. It is required where I live. But I likely would have got it anyway, as I have many pets. I am very fortunate to have a good land lord who allows me to have my animals.

You need to add a damage waiver to it. Most all policies do not come with it standard. Essentially it covers any damage that would occur if the tank were to break, tip over or any other act that would cause its contents to spill and cause water damage to the physical property. Your renters insurance covers the items in your apartment and liability if anyone hurt themselves there, the damage waiver would cover damage to the property itself.

I have rental units and if the renters want animals i dont mind so long as they prove to me that they have renters insurance with a damage waiver. Water damage can be quite costly.

Give your insurance company a call and ask them about the property damage waiver/indemnity. They may call it something else, Travelers calls it the name i mentioned above but if you explain the situation they should be able to guide you in the right direction.

-Pleco

Renters insurance is a good idea. I am on the 6th floor, have 2 tanks, and do not have any. I probably should.

However, I know many people with 55's in apts. As long as you make sure evertyhing is level I think....Just to drive it home, it is IMO that you will be ok. I would not worry unless you had a 75 gal +.

If you discover that your floor can't hold 800 pounds I would also advice you to find somewhere else to live. Seriously, when you think about people and furniture and giant book cases filled with textbooks, 800 lbs is pretty easy to achieve. 4 or 5 people standing in close proximity shouldn't go through the floor. 4 or 5 people dancing in close proximity shouldn't either.

But yeah... make sure its level :lol:

shayfish said:
If you discover that your floor can't hold 800 pounds I would also advice you to find somewhere else to live. Seriously, when you think about people and furniture and giant book cases filled with textbooks, 800 lbs is pretty easy to achieve. 4 or 5 people standing in close proximity shouldn't go through the floor. 4 or 5 people dancing in close proximity shouldn't either.

But yeah... make sure its level :lol:

I agree.

I live in a falling down apartment and had the exact same concern before I purchased my 55 gallon. The one thing I did to make myself feel better was put the tank near a wall because that's where the support beams for the house are. However, it doubt that you were thinking of putting the tank in the middle of the room any.

Good luck with the new tank! What are you planning to put inside it?

Back
Top Bottom