55g tank bowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a used 55 gallon tank. I bought a glass top and realized that the front was bowing out a little bit and the center brace cannot reach to the end of tank. Do I have to go out and buy a new tank? Thanks.

Is it a bowfront tank? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it a bowfront tank? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, it's actually bowing outwards, but not too much. I didn't even notice it until I tried putting the top on

I had a 55 gallon tank and the center brace broke. I thought nothing of it until I noticed the glass bowing out. A quick check with fellow aquarists on a different forum made me realize that my tank was in imminent danger of breaking apart. I did a quick tank swap (and upgraded to a 90 gallon) and dumped the old tank.

Could the old tank have been repaired? Probably. By me? No.

I live in an apartment and can only imagine the amount of damage that 55 gallons of water would have done to a wood floor. For me, it was worth the time and expense of a new tank.

My 55 gallon tank didnt have the braces and i built 3 metal brackets to go across the top of the tank and its been doing great for 1 1/2 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a 55 gallon tank and the center brace broke. I thought nothing of it until I noticed the glass bowing out. A quick check with fellow aquarists on a different forum made me realize that my tank was in imminent danger of breaking apart. I did a quick tank swap (and upgraded to a 90 gallon) and dumped the old tank.

Could the old tank have been repaired? Probably. By me? No.

I live in an apartment and can only imagine the amount of damage that 55 gallons of water would have done to a wood floor. For me, it was worth the time and expense of a new tank.

Was the bowing very noticeable? On my tank I didn't even notice until a close look.

My 55 gallon tank didnt have the braces and i built 3 metal brackets to go across the top of the tank and its been doing great for 1 1/2 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was it bowing before you put the braces on?

Back
Top Bottom