55gallon Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spangler2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. With all the help its almost been a year running this setup. 2 aqueon 30g filters, a uv light, fake plants and washed play sand substrate.

Had some casualties over the year getting it established but I have 6 black kulil loaches, 6 glo tetras, 3 albino Cory cats, 3 guppies and 1 endler live bearer.

Getting a little more algae than normal lately and looking for a clean up crew suggestion.

Tank is kept at 79

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can scrub it by hand. Maybe put a large snail in their. Maybe a bunch of ghost shrimp. I am not sure if those will get eaten by what you have though.

thanks for the reply.. i scrubbed it by hand last night at the water change.. which ive been doing 50% every two weeks.. The fish seem to be doing great with that.

Will a 25% water change each week help with this?

I had 2 mystery snails but they died somehow.. none of the fish did however. Tested water and nitrate was good and nitrite was low as well as ammonia..

water was good enough to allow my female guppie have fry swimming everywhere.. didnt notice it somehow and all the fry were eaten

Algae is a result of excess nutrients and light. Feed sparingly, remove excess food, and most importantly, cut back on the light. No more than 8 hrs per day, preferably 6. Use a timer if needed to keep the light on when you get to see the tank the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nerite snails help with algae, I have 4 in my 55 gallon tank. They are interesting too I think. They don't reproduce in fresh water but do lay eggs which I don't mind but they are hard to remove. I might also suggest you felt a few more Cory cats, they like being in larger numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom