5g shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Swords and crypts can be nutrient hogs as I have been informed

Jcolon: your shrimp tank is so beautiful....

Ha ha ... Thanks! It's good to know my labor's paid off. It's overtaken my 75gal as my favorite to look at. A few things came together just nicely ... especially adding the black Petco sand and mixing it with the PFS for that salt & pepper look. I may add another Anubias and some more java moss come next paycheck.

abrinn23 - Yeah selling is something I seriously did not consider a month ago ...now?:facepalm: I'll let you guys know if I go that route .. LOL. BUT rest assured ... members like Maxwellag (who I got mine from) sell and do a great job packaging. There are others .. jetajockey's got a good shrimp rep as well.

BTW ... I got my inspiration after seeing pics of a member's 20gal long that I drooled over. I forgot who's it was .. but THAT tank got me jealous! Here's a pic of my tank about a month ago and some of the little kids.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 78
jcolon said:
Here's the most recent pic of my 6.6 RCS tank with some of its residents ... I started with 14 at the end of Sept. Last count? 60+. RCS are prolific breeders ... my tank is swarming with shrimplets. Dozens upon Dozens hatched during Sandy! Oh and I have at least 3 more berried females.:dance:. Um ... I won't mention how many are saddled.:nono:

Tank looks great nice color

Thank you ill check out the vallisneria i might do either anubis or java fern i havent looked at crypts yet

Java Ferns, Java Moss and Anubias are really all you need with RCS. One nice thing about them is they are filter feeding plants meaning they pull nutrients from the water. As was mentioned Amazon Swords and Crypts are nutrient hogs that need root tabs or some substrate nutrient. With my RCS tank, I just have the plants I mentioned above and dose small amounts of Seachem Comprehensive. About 1 thread on the cap.

jcolon said:
Ha ha ... Thanks! It's good to know my labor's paid off. It's overtaken my 75gal as my favorite to look at. A few things came together just nicely ... especially adding the black Petco sand and mixing it with the PFS for that salt & pepper look. I may add another Anubias and some more java moss come next paycheck.

abrinn23 - Yeah selling is something I seriously did not consider a month ago ...now?:facepalm: I'll let you guys know if I go that route .. LOL. BUT rest assured ... members like Maxwellag (who I got mine from) sell and do a great job packaging. There are others .. jetajockey's got a good shrimp rep as well.

BTW ... I got my inspiration after seeing pics of a member's 20gal long that I drooled over. I forgot who's it was .. but THAT tank got me jealous! Here's a pic of my tank about a month ago and some of the little kids.

You helped me start my fiest shrimp tank, it's still in cycle and I'm modeling mine after yours haha I love it! It looks great

Tank looks great nice color

Thank you ... the only major recommendation I'd say is consider darkening your substrate if you feel the RCS are not "red" enough. They will darken their red with darker color substrate. I can tell that some of my females have become redder since I mixed the black Petco Sand and seeing a Red RCS on a broad green leaf really is something.

Also maybe either take out some of the rocks or stack more up on one side..just my opinion

You helped me start my fiest shrimp tank, it's still in cycle and I'm modeling mine after yours haha I love it! It looks great

Didn't anyone ever tell you flattery gets you ...... everywhere!:brows:
I'm happy my tank's a source of inspiration ... but I guess I just payed it forward from that 20gal long I saw.

I think the Reddish Granite stones I found in upstate NY in the Adirondack's make a difference. I'm keeping a red and black theme in terms of rocks, substrate and shrimp. This is why I'm considering either Red Tiger or Regular Tiger Shrimp as my next tank inhabitants. Ugh! ... Black Tiger Shrimp are just too expensive:banghead:.

For me I really like your DW and I think your background really pulls everything together. Would you mix the tiger shrimp with RCS or would you have to get rid of them all?

abrinn23 said:
Also maybe either take out some of the rocks or stack more up on one side..just my opinion

Like the ideas ill play with the rocks some more to get it where i like i might put more on one side as mentioned

jcolon said:
Thank you ... the only major recommendation I'd say is consider darkening your substrate if you feel the RCS are not "red" enough. They will darken their red with darker color substrate. I can tell that some of my females have become redder since I mixed the black Petco Sand and seeing a Red RCS on a broad green leaf really is something.

Ok ill consider that ill look into the black sand too see how it looks after i get a backgr

Can't wait to see what becomes of this tank. I think you have a really good start

For me I really like your DW and I think your background really pulls everything together. Would you mix the tiger shrimp with RCS or would you have to get rid of them all?

The main DW on the left came from my 75gal where it was just one of many, but in this tank, it's the centerpiece decor. The other DW on the right came from Petco, along with the background.

I'd just put the tiger with the RCS ... There's no chance of them interbreeding.
But before I do that, I may ... Just may ... have to whip my 20gal long out of storage.:eek:. Decisions, decisions, decisions:facepalm:.

abrinn23 said:
Can't wait to see what becomes of this tank. I think you have a really good start

Thank you since its the holidays its gunna move slow lol but itll move none the less

jcolon said:
The main DW on the left came from my 75gal where it was just one of many, but in this tank, it's the centerpiece decor. The other DW on the right came from Petco, along with the background.

I'd just put the tiger with the RCS ... There's no chance of them interbreeding.
But before I do that, I may ... Just may ... have to whip my 20gal long out of storage.:eek:. Decisions, decisions, decisions:facepalm:.

All of it looks great all of my dw and rock was free found the dw cleaning out a house and the rocks cleaning out an apartment plus the tank with hood and filter was free too lol just had to run a swapmeet stand for a couple hours for a friend

jcolon said:

What would that be for?

Thank you since its the holidays its gunna move slow lol but itll move none the less

That's it(y). Nice and slow ... Let the tank come together. BUT I'll warn you ... Those little invertebrate arthropods have an almost mystical addictive quality that'll have you doing crazy things to make their tank perfect.:D

What would that be for?

At this rate, I'm going to have hundreds of RCS. I'll look to sell some to local trusted LFS's (if they'll buy) and maybe members while i'll inevitably throw a dozen or two into my 75gal (where I have a few already) I'm still bound to have several dozens ... So why not upgrade? The real decision is do I keep the 6.6gal and 20 long both going?

In my opinion...it would be a CRIME to mess up that tank ;) I would love to see what you'd do to a 20 gallon shrimp tank though...

Back
Top Bottom