60 gallon fish ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojenkins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my first tropical freshwater 60 gallon tank. It has cycled well. At the moment i have 3 tiger barbs, 3 tetras, and 1 gold gourami. They all seem to get along fine at this time except on of the tetras is a bit of a bully at times.
My question is, what would be some other cool ideas for fish to go in this tank, can i add some cichlids, or some angel fish, discuss. I dont really know.
Ive done an awful lot of research since ive started and to be truthful, the more you research, the more that gets contradicted..so im reaching out to yall.. HELP

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First, I would increase the school sizes on the tiger barbs and tetras to at least 6 if not larger.

After that, new world cichlids, plecos, and loaches would probably be your best bet. Maybe a red railed shark as well.

Discus are a definite no with tiger barbs. Angels are very likely a no with them as well, although occasionally they will work together.

What type of tetra do you have? Typically Gold Gourami and Tiger Barbs are quite a bit more aggressive than tetras and won't coexist with most types of tetras very well. It may be fine for now since your tank isn't very full, but as you add more fish and space becomes more limited, problems could arise.

I cant remember the name of them to save my life...it is a dark orangish red tint..the top fin is black ..
The guy at petco told me that the cichlids were a brackish water fish and i couldnt use in my freshwater tank.. is this true...

I cant remember the name of them to save my life...it is a dark orangish red tint..the top fin is black ..
The guy at petco told me that the cichlids were a brackish water fish and i couldnt use in my freshwater tank.. is this true...

Lol no. They definitely arent brackish fish.

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom