60gal stock. Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
No matter what I want to have a large school of tiger barbs. Already I have 10.
I want to put a pair of electric blue rams.
Is that safe? Also what other pair if fish could I introduce to the community?

I love tiger barbs, those little fishes are hilarious!
The rams should be fine as they are bottom dwellers, and the tigers are midwater to top. You could do some larger tetras or a red tail or rainbow shark. Both the ram and tigers should have no issue with him but he may limit to what else you could put in it. What do you have your eye on? Anything in particular?

I know for sure I want 7 green/albino/tiger barbs.
I've had my eyes on the rams for a while. I not to familiar with them so maybe you can enlighten on a few other species? I was thinking a school of 3 upside down cats aswell?

Personally, I would not do rams with tiger barbs. It could work out, but I wouldn't risk it. The tiger barbs do of course do better in larger schools like you are planning on, so that helps.
I would consider a more robust dwarf cichlid, like kribs.
More things to consider, rainbows, loaches (dojo, zebra, yo-yo), rainbow shark, some fun species of danio.
Is there anything in specific you are thinking about? there are mostly options, I just suggest avoiding flowing fins or overly shy fish.

EDIT:I suggest synos or somethign rather than the upside-down. I have not found them very fun to own. They hide all the time. Technically, it would be ok. But, I suggest a fish who is you would see more, personally.

Personally, I would not do rams with tiger barbs. It could work out, but I wouldn't risk it. The tiger barbs do of course do better in larger schools like you are planning on, so that helps. I would consider a more robust dwarf cichlid, like kribs. More things to consider, rainbows, loaches (dojo, zebra, yo-yo), rainbow shark, some fun species of danio. Is there aything in specific you are thinking about? there are mostly options, I just suggest avoiding flowing fins or overly shy fish.
I've kept rams with tiger barbs before {not trying to be rude} with considerable success but I do see your concern. Kribs would be very cool and robust. And loaches would be neat oddballs too.

If you have a cover, some hatchetfish would be cool. Danios and scissor tail rasboras look nice too

I do like the dwarf cichlids, but I've always wanted some rams since I can remember. But now I have a tank that could be suitable for them.
So I definitely want 21 barbs
Maybe another small colorful school? Like harlequin rasboras? But I feel like the ram/cichlid pair I choose May make a meal of them.

I do like the dwarf cichlids, but I've always wanted some rams since I can remember. But now I have a tank that could be suitable for them. So I definitely want 21 barbs Maybe another small colorful school? Like harlequin rasboras? But I feel like the ram/cichlid pair I choose May make a meal of them.
Not a big fan I ofbthe rts or rs.they are known to be quite territorial.

I'm open to all opinions.

Yeah they can be a pain sometimes
As with the rasboras with the tigers I wouldn't recommend it. While tigers are usually harmless to big fish they can pester and kill small fish to death.

I've kept rams with tiger barbs before {not trying to be rude} with considerable success but I do see your concern. Kribs would be very cool and robust. And loaches would be neat oddballs too.

No worries. Fish are individuals, and different people have success with different things. I would still not do it. But it certainly can work for some people.

Yeah they can be a pain sometimes
As with the rasboras with the tigers I wouldn't recommend it. While tigers are usually harmless to big fish they can pester and kill small fish to death.

Also, I agree with this. I would avoid smaller tetras and rasboras because of potential harassment. I would still be ok with danios, because have you ever really seen a fish try to catch a danio in a large tank to harass it? Not easy. But, danios tend to not school tightly and make your tank look cluttered and busy. Some people like that, some do not. If you are ok with only the tb as smaller schoolers, I would focus your attentions on other tankmates.
Golden wonder killifish are another that could work IMO. They get decently sized, and are fast. Golden wonders are a lot of fun, but will eat tankmates that are too small and slow. They seem to do great with tb though.

Also, I agree with this. I would avoid smaller tetras and rasboras because of potential harassment. I would still be ok with danios, because have you ever really seen a fish try to catch a danio in a large tank to harass it? Not easy. But, danios tend to not school tightly and make your tank look cluttered and busy. Some people like that, some do not. If you are ok with only the tb as smaller schoolers, I would focus your attentions on other tankmates. Golden wonder killifish are another that could work IMO. They get decently sized, and are fast. Golden wonders are a lot of fun, but will eat tankmates that are too small and slow. They seem to do great with tb though.
I have a couple I months to think about it, but im leaning more towards a ebr or a krib.
Does anyone know how many oto cats I should stock in this tank?

Personally, I suggest a bristle nose pleco, or a few pitbull plecos or rubber lip pleco. Obviously up to you though. Many people have a tough time with keeping otos alive since they pretty much exclusively wild caught and often do not adjust well.
But, if you want otos, I would think a nice group of 7 would be good to start with. Keep in mind they do best in a well established tank. Just make sure not to stock so many tiger barbs that the bioload gets out of control. But, that is easy enough to gauge when you stock slowly IME.
Just so you know, ebr tend to be pretty sensitive as well. Not trying to dissuade you, just letting you know that rams in general can be a bit of a tough fish, prone to early die-offs. So, make sure you find some good stock. :)

Should I get a male an a female gbr? Will they harrass each other?

Back
Top Bottom