65g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold Canadian

Aquarium Advice Freak
so for Christmas I got the Aqueon size 65 arch ensemble (light, stand, hood, tank.) I later got a fluval 306 canaster filter, a heater and some play sand.
I am having some trouble with tea colour water from driftwood (after a 100% wc I cannot see the back of the tank the next day)what should I do:confused: should I boil it.
playing around on aquadviser I made a stock plan.
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....200909300078:,1:200909300016:,5:201002031346:
it is 79% stocked and at 145% filtration capacity.
if you have noticed I am planning on haveing GBRs and a Betta. My theory is that the betta and GBR will not have much interaction becuse they like different water levels (top and bottom dwellers) there are also acounts of them working together that I found while researching. but I will still like to hear your opinion on them. I am planing on having it Planted.

thanks in advance:)

sent via messenger of Gondor

I'd add more cardinals and more Cories as they like big schools. Rams might try to eat cherries and most of these fish will eat the Cherries babies for sure. But doesn't matter I guess if you don't want to breed them. Female betta could be a bully or be nice. I have mine in a 50 gallon planted with a ton of other fish and she's fine with them! Add lots of live plants and stock fish slowly. And of course keep up with water changes and you'll be fine. Sometimes Rams fight so make sure you add them at the same time and add them near last because they need a mature tank with really clean water. Good luck !!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I will add mor cardinals and see if I can find more Cory's the current 5 will be coming from my 10g and I haven't seen other bronze Cory's at LFS. I will try to find a more docile Betta. I am not planning on breeding any fish in this tank but hey if it happens it happens. I hope I can get a pair of GBR because I heard they are more peaceful then except while mating. Thanks

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

If you have a problem with brown water try Purigen. I used it was astounded at how clear the water became. It's not cheap though!

Thanks for the advice. Dose the brown water come mainly from the bark? I took off some bark lots of brown stuff entered the water column. So I took out the log and striped off all the bark. I hope that helped.

Today I finished setting up everything! I put filter media from my 10 into the 65 filter, added plant trimmings and three fish to the 65. On Tuesday if the instant-cycle goes as planed I will get more fish and plants for the tank!!! So happy right now!!

I went to the pet store today. I got lots of plants I will post names tomorrow. I also got red cherry and Amano shrimp 3 of each :)

Is anyone following this? I will keep posting whether people are or are not :)

Thanks for following :)
I have
Cambodia
Wisteria
Some brown/red crypts? Name?
Regular crypts
Guppy grass
Java fern
Anubis battari an another var not exactly sure what kind ill figure it out soon
And frog bit.
I still want to get java moss and amazon swords.
So it's definitely going to have the South American them to it
I will try to post pics tomorrow if I have time.

I'm so happy with it:)

Hey cold canadian-- I notice your from saskatoon?? Just wondering where you get most of your stuff from and if you have any good recommendations on pet stores! I'm also from SK

Hey cold canadian-- I notice your from saskatoon?? Just wondering where you get most of your stuff from and if you have any good recommendations on pet stores! I'm also from SK

Hey its good to know that I am not the only person from Sask.:) I get all my stuff from petland and petsmart in the city. My favorite store is the petland in Stonegate. it has the largest fish room and the best stock I have found yet in the city.:)
Where do you buy your fish and supplies?

So I did a water change Sunday. Monday the water got really cloudy an its only gotten worse:( my best guess is because of the wc but why? I thought it might make the water more clear taking out tannins.
I have not been updating much because I am in the middle of final exams I hope to update more When their done.

So I got sick of the cloudy water and a stink that had developed. It stunk up the whole house. I did a 100% water change and cleaned everything wood, rocks and filter. So I essentially am restarting. I think part of the problem was I did not have enough fish creating bio-load and the cycle stopped. I will be getting more fish in attempt to fix this.

Just an update.
Since the restart all has been good:):)
I didn't kill the cycle with it so restart on water. I plan on getting some of the cardinal tetras tomorrow.

I will upload a pic once I get them tomorrow I went today they had none. The lady said they will be getting stock Wednesday.
Not much is going as I planed:(

so for Christmas I got the Aqueon size 65 arch ensemble (light, stand, hood, tank.) I later got a fluval 306 canaster filter, a heater and some play sand.
I am having some trouble with tea colour water from driftwood (after a 100% wc I cannot see the back of the tank the next day)what should I do:confused: should I boil it.
playing around on aquadviser I made a stock plan.
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....200909300078:,1:200909300016:,5:201002031346:
it is 79% stocked and at 145% filtration capacity.
if you have noticed I am planning on haveing GBRs and a Betta. My theory is that the betta and GBR will not have much interaction becuse they like different water levels (top and bottom dwellers) there are also acounts of them working together that I found while researching. but I will still like to hear your opinion on them. I am planing on having it Planted.

thanks in advance:)

sent via messenger of Gondor

Did you soak the dirftwood to get rid of the tannins?

Did you soak the dirftwood to get rid of the tannins?

I took out the pice of drift wood that was causing the most problems. I am now soaking it and boiling it an weekends. If that doesn't help I will probably buy one from the store. The wood is a hollow log from a crab apple tree.

Back
Top Bottom