6G Fishless Cycle Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys and girls,

As per my other thread I have recently started my first tank cycle and I wanted to document it on here :)

The tank is a small 6G with fresh substrate, plants and foam filter media, but i transferred a fake rock from when the tank was a coldwater into the tank.

It is heated between 82 and 84 deg (i guess the fluctuation is ok? I have noticed the heater switching on and off over the last few days)

Started on the 21st September and here are my readings:

21st:
Ammo - 4ppm

22nd:
Ammo - 4ppm

24th:
Ammo - 0.5ppm dosed up to 4ppm

25th:
Nitrite - 1ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
PH - 7.6

26th:
Ammo- 0.5ppm dosed up to 4ppm
Nitrite - 5ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
PH - 7.4

27th:
Ammo - 0.25ppm dosed up to 4ppm
Nitrite - >5ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
PH - 7.4

28th:
Nitrite - >5ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
PH - 7.0

^50% PWC performed due to drop in PH ^

29th:
Nitrite - 1ppm
Nitrate - 10ppm
PH - 6.6

30th:
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
PH - 6.6

1st:
Ammo - Between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrite - Between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrate - Between 0 and 5ppm
PH - 6.2

So as you can see, it appears that my results are going the way they should, especially the drop in PH level which i'm guessing is a big enough problem to affect the rest.

So i am wondering what to do next, i will persevere with it and keep up my usual routine but can anyone offer any advice for me?

Thanks
Andy (y)

Looks like it's going fantastic...the pH is the only concern I see. The lower pH drops, the slower nitrification occurs until it hits 6 and stops entirely (i.e. no conversion, no cycling). Normally I'd suggest using a natural buffer like crushed coral, but I think you're so close to the end that you can get by without it. Just monitor it every day, and do a large water change any time you see a significant drop. Since your tap water comes out around 7.4-7.6, I'd personally do a water change any time the level drops near 7, that will ensure everything finishes smoothly.

Thanks for the reply Eco :) Your guide has been fantastic help!

So do things look ok then? I'm still waiting for the nitrates to go off the chart or it only the nitrites that do that? (as indicated where they are >5ppm)

Thanks for the advice on the PWC, ill be keeping a keen eye on it for sure!

The no2 going off the charts and dropping back down on their own is the thing we're really looking for. The no3 will always build up since it's the end result of the cycle, but any water changes you do will reduce them.

What I'm curious about is whether your nitrItes have dropped on their own, or if the 5 down to 1ppm was from the water change (which seems like a stretch since a 50% pwc should drop 5ppm down to only 2.5ppm). In the next few days we'll see. If they climb back up we'll know there's still some time ahead of us...but if they start going down you're almost near the end :)

Just keep an eye on pH, and always be ready do to a water change and things should keep progressing perfectly.

Since your water does seem to be low in alkalinity (hence the pH drops), it will be important to have a healthy, frequent water change schedule once you have fish. Water low in kH is more likely to experience pH drops (as you've seen), and even though they're a pain in the butt while cycling...it's very bad if it happens with fish in there. Doing water changes frequently will restore the buffers to keep the pH steady. If you still see drops with a good water change schedule...it may be worth considering buffering the water naturally at that point.

I have added today's results in the OP but will put them here as well:

30th:
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
PH - 6.6

:D

To me it seems like my tank is very very close to being completed, i just have concerns with regards to the PH still (i know its only been a day :lol:)

Pandy said:
I have added today's results in the OP but will put them here as well:

30th:
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
PH - 6.6

To me it seems like my tank is very very close to being completed, i just have concerns with regards to the PH still (i know its only been a day :lol:)

I think you may be cycled :). And in near record time. I agree to test the bio-filter a couple more times and make sure it's consistently dropping the ammonia and no2 down to zero.

The pH does concern me a small bit in how fast it's dropping. Try filling up a glass with tap water and leave it sitting out overnight. If you have an air stone, drop that in the glass as well. I'd like to see how much the pH changes directly from the tap compared to after it gasses out.

Yeah i think i will continue to monitor it over the next couple of days and look at getting some fish in early next week :)

Ok ill give that a try and report back (y)

Todays tank water test results:

Ammo - Between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrite - Between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrate - Between 0 and 5ppm
PH - 6.2 :eek:

I also did my tap water PH test and the results are shown in the photo's below, i know they aren't in the same light conditions but its clear to see the difference.

Straight out of the tap:

I can't match the colour of the High Range PH test with anything on the card, the closest is probably 8.2 but way more vibrant red :confused:

The normal PH test shows it way past 7.6 to me

PH Test 1 by Pandy100, on Flickr

After 16 hours:

Normal PH shows it to be near 7.6

High Range PH shows it to be near 7.4

PH Test 2 by Pandy100, on Flickr

Any thoughts?

Odd. Does your house have a water softener or anything on it?

Cycling wreaks havoc on pH in general...but I'd definitely like to see less of a swing. Having water low in kH leads to fluctuating levels, which can be a pain in the butt for cycling...but if your pH goes from 7.8 down to 6.2 suddenly once you have fish...that can be a problem.

Leaving a glass of water sitting out let's air exchange happen, and it basically shows what the true pH of your water is. Since it didn't change much, we know it's the nitrification that's causing the pH drop. That would lead me to think buffering the water slightly would be a good idea to prevent crashes once you have fish.

In my house I have virtually no alkalinity to my water, and in each of my tanks I have a very small mesh bag of crushed coral in each filter. It's natural and slowly dissolves into the water replacing the alkalinity which is being used up in the tank. Without it my pH drops dangerously within days. The key is finding the right amount where it doesn't dramatically alter the hardness or pH...but enough that it holds everything steady. In my 46 gallon I have a few good size pinches in a mesh media bag...however in my 5 gallon Chi I literally only have a few pieces of coral. You've just got to experiment a bit to find the right amount...but it doesn't take much.

It's entirely your call, but that's what I'd do...and what I have to do at my house.

For now though, I'd do a total water change to get the pH back up, then only add 1ppm of ammonia for the next few days to see what happens. Remember that your cycle is totally going to freeze if it hits 6. It also tends to stay frozen for a few days if it drops too low.

I don't think it has any softener in the water, its certainly not something we do, maybe the water board might but I'm not sure.

I will take your advice and take a trip down to my LFS and see if they have any crushed coral, its worth a shot whilst I'm still fishless, and i can monitor the situation without worrying about harming fish.

I did a 60% PWC about an hour ago so I'll see how that affects it tomorrow and take it from there.

It was all going so well :lol:

Pandy said:
I don't think it has any softener in the water, its certainly not something we do, maybe the water board might but I'm not sure.

I will take your advice and take a trip down to my LFS and see if they have any crushed coral, its worth a shot whilst I'm still fishless, and i can monitor the situation without worrying about harming fish.

I did a 60% PWC about an hour ago so I'll see how that affects it tomorrow and take it from there.

It was all going so well :lol:

It's still going well! People would commit crimes to cycle that fast! :D. Now we've just got to make a quick "adjustment". It's clear sailing...no worries.

Todays results are as follows:

Ammo - between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
PH - 6.6

So my PH is moving back up but im concerned that i have no nitrates, is that something i should worry about or is that part of the course?

I performed a 70% PWC to buffer the PH up some more and added a small amount of crushed coral in my HOB filter, so hopefully we can level and stabalise the PH sometime soon!

Do you have live plants in the tank?

Is that test before or after the pwc? The water change could have removed the nitrate if you did the pwc before the test. Otherwise, just be sure you're doing the test correctly; really shake those bottles and test tube for the full time. Also bottle #2 has a reagent powder in it that can get clumped; bang the bottom on a hard surface a few times during shaking can help loosen it up. Also with the constant PH fluctuations it's just possible things have slowed a bit, although you seem to have conversion. Let's see what happens over the next few days.

It doesn't have live plants and the test was before the PWC. I did shake the bottles but ill remember to be a bit more vigorous next time :)

I've dosed to 1ppm to keep the bacteria alive but do you think its worth topping that up to 4ppm and carry on as before?

It doesn't have live plants and the test was before the PWC. I did shake the bottles but ill remember to be a bit more vigorous next time :)

I've dosed to 1ppm to keep the bacteria alive but do you think its worth topping that up to 4ppm and carry on as before?

Yes I think dosing to 4 would be best. If you dose to 1 for too long the bacteria will adjust to the lower dose, which isn't what you want. You may be cycled, or very close-to, but I'd like to test it for another few days to ensure that the ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 and see if the PH stabilizes.

That will be my plan of action then :) Have just upped the dose to 4ppm so we will see in 24hours where we are.

Will the crushed coral be ok in front of my filter foam? There isnt that much room in there but its flowing ok.

Today's results are as follows:

3/10:
Ammo - between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - between 5 and 10ppm
PH - 7.4

Sorry for the 'between', some of the colours are **** close to each other so can make it difficult at times.

I did a mini test last night after about 6 hours after the dose-up and addition of crushed coral, mainly to see if my PH was going in the right direction and if Nitrates showed after i shook the Nitrate tester like a good'un.

So today 24 hours later it seems the PH has improved greatly, and I'm know seeing Nitrates after a good shake of the bottles :)

Have to say a massive thanks to yourself and librarygirl for the help and reassurance along the way, its very much appreciated (y)

Do you think i need to do the big 90% PWC or not considering my Nitrate levels are low anyway?

Pandy said:

Have to say a massive thanks to yourself and librarygirl for the help and reassurance along the way, its very much appreciated (y)

Do you think i need to do the big 90% PWC or not considering my Nitrate levels are low anyway?

Since we had some funny things happen with the nitrAte test...I would do it just to be safe. The last thing we want would be for there to have been a testing issue and the nitrAtes are actually sitting at a high level without knowing it.

So I'd say just one more big one...then you can move on to just your normal weekly pwc's once you have fish.

Please remember that pictures are required :D

Back
Top Bottom