75 Bow Reef Tank....need a new filter, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my 75 bow setup since January. My Fluval 404 filter just busted. I performed maintance on the filter every 3 weeks and took care of all of the media very well so its malfunctioning is inexcusable. I attempted to go filterless for 2 weeks, but my tank doesn't smell to great despite weekly waterchanges so I have decided to get a new filter. I went on vacation recently and the temp in my tank must have risen high enough to kill off my candy cane corals and my huge hammer coral. Thankfully my fish are doing fine. The candy canes bleached to complete white and the hammer is basically just a skeleton now. Somehow my button polyps are still alive, although not looking their best. I have cut down on my lighting on very hot days since its been red hot in New York lately. I cannot afford to get a chiller at the moment because of student loans I am paying off and other financial responsibilities, but I need to get a new filter.

I was looking at the Eheim 2026 Professional II Canister with Media since BigAls is having a sale on it for $165. Will this suffice for my tank needs? I am also hoping this filter is of a higher quality than the fluval since the fluval has been really noisy and I don't feel like replacing this Eheim in 5 months. I can also opt for a higher Eheim model if it is necessary. TIA.

I have a fluval 404 that I have used for 2 months. Im looking to get rid of it. Make me an offer if you are interested. Its in perfect shape and not noisy at all

Sorry but I am not interested in getting another Fluval. I could tell from the moment I received my first fluval 404 that it is not a quality filter. I'm looking at getting one of the best filters for reliability and from what I have heard, Eheim's are the best.

I think you can get away with out the Canister filter in a salt water aquarium, you do need a skimmer, and that about it? Providing you have enough water circulation inside your aquarium. I would opt for a good skimmer like Bakpak2/2R/or Dual Bakpak2, or may be a Remora?
Fluval isn't really rated for salt water. I have fluval in fresh water tank and years without problem.

wow, I am surprised to hear that about the fluval, I have had 4 of them for years and I abuse the heck out of them...

as an option, you might want to consider just putting the money into liverock and let it do your filtration. Then buy just a cheapo HOB to have a place to run carbon or whatever...just an idea

Forgive me but look like he got everything needed for the tank, look at his signature for the spec. If this is the case, I'll get a HOT magnum to run carbon and the HOT magnum does have the micron catridge which you can use to clean water

75 Gallon Seamless Bowfront Tank
Current USA Orbit 4x96 watt PC lighting w/ 3 moonlights
60 lbs. Premium Figi Live Rock
60 lbs aragonite sand
2 maxijet 1200 powerheads
Fluval 404 Canister Filter
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater
36 watt coralife turbo twist UV sterilizer
yellow tang, kole tang, perc. clown, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 7 Mex. turbo snails,
2 peppermint shrimp, 10 nas. snails
large candy cane, supercolored zoos.

Yeah I already have a Remora pro. I like canister filters because of the mdeia compartments where I usually put my polyfilters and activated carbon. I also run my 36Watt turbo twist inline with my canister because I don't want to crowd my tank with more pumps. So my choices are to either buy a new motor housing for my Fluval 404, or upgrade to something like an Eheim.

only filter to get is the filstar xp3. great cannister filter and on sale at petwarehouse.com. great filter cant say enough good things about it.

had a fluval on my fw tank for many years i clean it maybe once every 6 months no problems with it and just a thought a 36watt uv on a 75 thats a lil over kill that water is really sterile imo i think uv lights are not worth the money but hey thats my opion i bought one when i had ich turned it on and watched all my fich die one by one and that was only a 8watt on a 90g and all my corals and sponges starved cuz nothing was growing in my water for them to eat but i do use a 36watt uv on my 2000g pond to keep algae out

Yeah I concur that the 36 watt UV is overkill but it is the lowest wattage that can support the flow from the output of the fluval after a T-splitter is attached to the outtake. If I placed another pump in my tank, I would have bought the 9 watt instead. Looks like BigAlsOnline is sending me a replacement motor housing for my Fluval 404 at no charge so I will stick with my current setup for now. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom