75 gallon compatability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm really a beginner in cichlid keeping. In fact, I haven't started yet.
But yes, I'm planning to.
I'll soon be having a 75 gal. And I've decided to do a lake malawi, mbuna set-up.
II'm thinking of getting Pseudotropheus acei.
Are they good beginner cichlids? If so:
What cichlids are compatible with them? Also, those that would complement their color? On another note, what mbuna cichlids should I avoid?

I'm planning to get 4 species.Hopefully, less aggressive ones since most probably I'll be getting them as juveniles. So there is no assurance that I'll get a good M:F ratio immediately.

Thank you very much :D

Some may disagree but IMO/E mbuna are a far cry from a good beginner cichlid.

- They have special dietary needs, otherwise they are prone to Malawi Bloat which is often fatal.

- Proper identification of males and female is indeed in order to stock correctly to avoid aggression.

- If stocked correctly the bio load on the system will be quite high. Proper filtration, aggressive water change schedule and a good working knowledge of how a higher PH will affect the water chemistry is needed.

If you are new to cichlids and are dead set on keeping mbuna my recommend is to find something common, hardy, readily available and moderately peaceful. Such as yellow labs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm a beginner in cichlid keeping, but not really in fishkeeping :)
I have knowledge on feeding, filtration, and sexing.
I just can't decide what to put with acei. Those that will complement their colors and would not bash them to death.

I'll consider the yellow labs.Thank you very much :D

Acei, and other Mbuna are VERY versatile. Just do your research. Do properly size harems with good M to F ratio, generally 1 to 3.

A 75 gallon is an excellent size, the possibilities are literally quite limitless.

Read up on overstocking, territorial issues and general Mbuna keeping. Some genera you could have off the top of my head are.

Labidochromis,
Pseudotropheus
Cynotilapia
Lamboardi
Metriclima

You'll want to get fish roughly the same size, and same adult size. Just do your research.

Some Mbuna are meaner than others, but in a well to over stocked tank with elaborate rock work you won't have major problems.

Metriaclima estherae

I have a few of these guys , they can be more aggressive ( mine are anyway ) but they keep the tank movin lol

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 75 gal empty setting up for ????10gal & 56gal column cycled but no stock

Melanochromis Auratus

These guys have really good coloring too ..

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 75 gal empty setting up for ????10gal & 56gal column cycled but no stock

The ones I've had are " mean " to each other ,, but not as bad to others ... You'll have your chase and what not ... In my 55 the " meanest " fish is my male red zebra

thank you for the suggestions :D
I've already considered estherae, but I've read a lot that they interbreed with the labs. Also, I'm not into the "red colors".

I really want a deep blue color. I've read about demasoni, it's just that most people say I should have them at a minimum of 12.

If that would be the case, can I add one more specie in a 75 gal?
Lab x 5
Acei x 5
Demasoni x 12
One more x ??

Melanochromis Johanni

They can be aggressive but the males are a nice black/blue

thank you for the suggestions :D
I've already considered estherae, but I've read a lot that they interbreed with the labs. Also, I'm not into the "red colors".

I really want a deep blue color. I've read about demasoni, it's just that most people say I should have them at a minimum of 12.

If that would be the case, can I add one more specie in a 75 gal?
Lab x 5
Acei x 5
Demasoni x 12
One more x ??

That would be pretty well stocked, but you could totally add a few more. 20-25 is a good number. I suggest:

Cynotilapia Afra, (there's a few different types, all good) or Labidochromis hongi

OH! See if you can find a Metraclima sp. Dolphin.

Gorgeous fish!

Albino Socolofi is another one of my favorites. I have one, very fun to watch.

There's SO MANY! Lol. Good luck.
I love Demasoni, they are a blast to watch also. I tried keeping a big group of them, but they picked on some of my larger guys, who were to slow to do anything about it, so I got rid of them.

If you like Johanni's I would get their less aggressive cousin the maingano. Looks exactly the same, less attitude.

Labidochromis caeruleus x 5
Pseudotropheus acei x 5
Cynotilapia afra x 5
Pseudotropheus socolofi x 5

What do you guys think? :)

Are you doing regular Socolofi or albinos (snow whites)?

Looks good! That will be a fun set up.

Back
Top Bottom