75 gallon questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

battenfield91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions for those who know more than I do. But first I will tell you my setup.

TANK AND SUPPLIES
-75 gallon
-2 55 gallon HOB filters
- Sand substrate
- 48" LED Light
-15w heater
- Air pump w/ dual outlet

FISH
-6 angelfish
-4 swordtails
-4 tetra glowfish
-6 platys
-2 guppies
- 4 sailfin molly
-1 red eye zebra tail (unknown species)
- 2 large silver fish with stripes ( also unknown species)
-1 red fin shark
- 1 iridescent shark
-2 regular Plecos
-1 bushy nose Plecos
-6 Cory cats
-2 blue cats
-1 clown loach

My questions are.
- am I over stocked though I do water changes and filter changes?
- all of my fish seem to be healthy though I don't have a test kit. Is this okay?

I'm sorta new to the fish hobby, I want desperately to be able to keep angelfish but just can't at the moment :( I've done my research when it comes to angelfish (trying to prepare for the day I can actually have them... Fingers crossed!) and I remember reading that the minimum gallon tank for angelfish is a 29, and that's for a pair, so angelfish need about if not more than 10 gallons per fish, and since you say you have a 75 gallon that seems fine for them, buy once you take into account how many other fish you have in the tank with them I feel like its over stocked.

And also for the sake of your angelfish, I would get a test kit ASAP to keep an eye on your params, especially your pH levels since angels prefer more acidic water, and I can't think of the technical term at the moment, but a test kit that tests the hardness of your water since angela prefer softer water.

Thank you for the response. Ill get to my LFS tomorrow and pick up some testing equipment. The resin for the over population was caused by a broken tank. And I added all into my 75 gallon.

Also I would like to know if a canister filter would be benificial and if so, how would I go about setting it up

With that much of a load in that tank you definitely need a canister such as the fx5. Its very simple to set up, just fill with media and put the hoses in and plug in.

Also would anyone happen to know why my Plecos freak out when I turn my light on ?

Yeah I think you are a bit overstocked already. You may want to reconsider the 2 common plecos and the clown loach.

The FX5 is a great filter. I have one on my 75 and it keeps the water crystal clear.

tropical-fish said:
Yeah I think you are a bit overstocked already. You may want to reconsider the 2 common plecos and the clown loach.

The FX5 is a great filter. I have one on my 75 and it keeps the water crystal clear.

+1. I'd rehome those 3 fish for sure and get the fluval fx5 if you can afford it! Use a pad in the bottom tray and use the top 2 trays for bio media. Get an API freshwater test kit and test weekly. :)

So here's a bit of an update on my 75 gallon Cichlid tank.

-2 75 gallon HOB filters (700 GPH)
-120 gallon air pump
-aqueon 48"modular LED light (only 1 day bulb installed)

I have had great success with my large community of Lake Malawi Cichlids. I have even had peacock fry that have now grown into decent size fish with new fry in my tank as well.

I also have
-albino channel cat
-2 emerald Cory cats
-peppered Cory cat
-panda Cory cat
-iridescent shark
-3 bala sharks
-2 trinidad plecos
-madusa Pleco
-yellow bushynose pleco
-freshwater clam

Along with this i have a few questions.

- Is it common for my cichlids to be breeding this frequently?

-I know that I will benefit from adding the other 2 48" LED lights; however, should I use the colormax bulbs or stay with the day lights?

- I'm looking to upgrade my filtration in a big way. Is sump filtration or canister filtration better?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom