75 gallon stocking question. All opinions welcome and appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be getting a 75 gallon tank next month and have been trying to plan out what I want to put in it. I understand I will still need to cycle it and everything, I just like having a plan set.

I've been researching online for possibilities and in my search I found a website that sells an assorted African cichlid pack which has one type of ten different cichlids in it; however, I have read that it's best to keep cichlids in groups rather than individuals to avoid stressing them out. If there were one type of each would that still be the case?

This is what the pack includes:
The 75 gallon African Cichlid Pack contains the following:

1 - Kadango Red Fin - Copadichromis borleyi - Juvenile
1 - Yellow Lab - Labidochromis caeruleus - Small
1 - Red Zebra - Metriaclima estherae
1 - Snow White Socolofi - Pseudotropheus socolofi - Juvenile
1 - Pseudotropheus demasoni - Pombo Rocks variant - Small
1 - Mamela Lemon Jake - Aulonocara jacobfreibergi - Juvenile
1 - Bumblebee Cichlid - Pseudotropheus crabro - Juvenile
1 - Cobalt Zebra - Metriaclima callainos
1 - Rusty Cichlid - Iodotropheus sprengerae - Juvenile
1 - Red Empress - Protomelas taeniolatus - Small Juvenile

I picked a few of my favorites from the list and was wondering how many of each could fit in the tank.
Here's my list:
Kandango red fin
Red zebra
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Mamela lemon jake
Cobalt zebra
Red empress

Do you think they'd be okay and happy if I just did the pack and had one of each, and if not what would be the best combination of those from my list? I'd sacrifice a few cichlids in order to make room for some bottom feeders or a blue cobalt lobster if I had to.

Sorry for the long post, thank you in advance for any replies.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

And to make it even longer I left out one from my list that I really like, the Malawi fire fish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a lot of the same ones you listed and they do fine. Just get singles as they fight more with their own kind. A catfish would work if pass on pleco, my tank has one but I'm going to rehome it. I actually want some algae growth for the fish but the pleco does too good of a job.

I have a lot of the same ones you listed and they do fine. Just get singles as they fight more with their own kind. A catfish would work if pass on pleco, my tank has one but I'm going to rehome it. I actually want some algae growth for the fish but the pleco does too good of a job.

This is not true. An improper stocking ratio will promote aggression. If a male has too few females, issues will arise, so it is generally best to stock 1 male to 3-4 females of a given species, or just stock all males.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom