75 Gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I have a 75 gallon and want it to be a planted community but I need some help with stocking it.

Here what I'm thinking of:
Angelfish x2
African butterfly fish x2
Bushy or Bristle nose pleco x2
German blue ram x4
Siamese algae eater x5
Sterbai corydoras x10
Bolivian ram x2
Farlowella acus x2

I’d wait for the tank to mature before adding those rams.

I’ve never owned African butterfly fish, aren’t they aggressive?

The SAE’s and cories sound good.

75 Gallon Stocking

I currently have 1 African butterfly in Quarantine with a baby b nose and an angelfish and they're doing just fine. I think that butterfly's are only aggressive to fish on the surface like hatchets, but they will eat or try to eat small fish that come to the surface to feed like tetras or rasboras, other than that they're not really aggressive unless its 2 males together.

Gotcha. They are certainly a cool looking fish.
You may consider that you have several species that are going to be competing for the bottom of the tank. Rams, cories, plecos, and acus’ are pretty much bottom dwellers if I’m not mistaken. Not saying it won’t work...just a thought.

Last edited:
Just telling you I had one SAE that I got when it was really small and was great until it got roughly about 4 inches then got aggressive and nipped at my scissortail rasboras until it killed 2 out of 3 they are peaceful until they start getting to that size just wanted to give you a heads up on that just trying to warn you good luck

I would not mix the Bolvian and GBR. They are on opposite ends of the temperature scale.
GBR want 80 -86 and Bolivians are 76 ish I believe..
I would not do the GBR at all if you are not planning on keeping tank at least 80...
I would choose otos over the SAE also..

Back
Top Bottom