75g Tank, Bichirs, and Other Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lord_sunshine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a new 75g tank and just finished a fish less water cycle and things are ready to roll. My thing is, I am wanting to do 2 bichirs (Ornatipinnis and probably Delhezi) along with some other fish. The only thing is, the fish store people are telling me that I can only so 2 more fish with those bichirs. I know that I'll need a pleco and I don;t really want to have just one random fish in there. So with those two bichirs, what do guys think I do as far as tankmates (how many more than what species). I would like to have a Black Ghost Knife in there also.

Hello, I have a new 75g tank and just finished a fish less water cycle and things are ready to roll. My thing is, I am wanting to do 2 bichirs (Ornatipinnis and probably Delhezi) along with some other fish. The only thing is, the fish store people are telling me that I can only so 2 more fish with those bichirs. I know that I'll need a pleco and I don;t really want to have just one random fish in there. So with those two bichirs, what do guys think I do as far as tankmates (how many more than what species). I would like to have a Black Ghost Knife in there also.

I don't know much about bichirs so I hope someone else chimes in on them. One thing though, you don't NEED a pleco, unless you WANT a pleco, and bgks get too big for a 75 gallon tank.

Man really? I didn't think that they got that big.

The do get very long, and are more ridged than most fish so they need turn around room, I think the general thought on this forum is 125+. Too bad, I love those guys haha. Of course you can do whatever you want, just wanted to let ya know to look up their requirements

Just echoing the no to the ghostknife replies

Honestly I'd do those 2 and multiple Senegal bichirs. I have an ornate with 3 senegals and it's a very entertaining tank right now. The ornate tends to hide unless he's hungry but the senegals are always very active. I have them in a 75 gallon currently. The ornate will reach over 2 ft eventually so a larger tank will be required in a year or 2. def stick to the bichirs, you won't have to worry about ich as they can't get it.

Honestly I'd do those 2 and multiple Senegal bichirs. I have an ornate with 3 senegals and it's a very entertaining tank right now. The ornate tends to hide unless he's hungry but the senegals are always very active. I have them in a 75 gallon currently. The ornate will reach over 2 ft eventually so a larger tank will be required in a year or 2. def stick to the bichirs, you won't have to worry about ich as they can't get it.

quick note on this, Bichir are not immune to ich but they do have a great resistance to it.

i have one senegal(sp) in my 125 and i think he's one of the best fish i have, but the senegal will reach anywhere between 9"-12" so be prepared... also i've noticed mine(probably like most of them) has a lower jaw that can stretch/expand so just be careful of how small the other fish are once yours starts to grow

Yeah, I'm trying to think ahead of the game. I'm just going to do one red spotted gold severum and a Geophagus Surinamensis. I think that'll probably be all I'll have room for. :(

Back
Top Bottom