75g with Finnex Plated 24/7: Expectations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have this friend who wants to put a Finnex Planted 24/7 over a 75g tank. What can be this person's expectations be with this? Dirted substrate, probably Glut as the carbon source. Not sure on the fert regimen. Type of plants? Some of the trimmings in my 20L (Pogostemon sp, Rotala sp, Ludwigia sp 'red') to start. No mention of a carpet yet.
I run a Finnex Planted+ (which I believe is similar to the 24/7 PAR wise) over a 20L and at 12" the PAR is around 65. The 75g is about 18" so I am guessing that the PAR for the 24/7 would be in the low 40s or upper 30s. This places it in the low end of medium.
Your thoughts on the 24/7 and 75g combo?

p.s. - This "friend" is a real person and not me sneakily referring to myself in the third person. But I am kind of curious as I have considered purchasing a 24/7 as my next fixture.

Should do just fine. I have planted plus on mine and it's growing swords and crypts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please keep us updated. I'm very interested in the Planted+ as a replacement to my Stingray. Right now I'm dosing XL every other day, and Flourish 1x a week. Growing crypts well, Ludwigia a bit, Vals are doing ok...getting tall but not really spreading. Red sword isn't doing great. Not sure what to do, but want to add a few more plants but think I might need the planted+ for some med light.

I'll try to help. As you know, the 40 is dirted, with ludwigwhatsis red plants, DHG in husk coming in from MINIMAL next week for carpet. Already have co2 running straight into the pump intake and the Finnex 36" 24/7 will arrive Tuesday. Not a moment too soon. Downoi melted even with the saucer-type 6500k daylight CFL and API leaf. How long before your friend decides? Might be moot hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

aclark - Will do and thanks for following.
Laeris - Thanks for the update and pending updates. I'm going to contact the other person tonight and convey what I've found out so far.

I've found a great review on the 24/7. Lots of good info.
Here is an excerpt from one of the answers provided by the product reviewer:
1) Yes, the 24/7 fixture can be used as a dimmable light, you can create your own custom color blends from the 4 light channels (white, red, green, blue) in 10% increments on each channel. In this regard it functions much like a Current-USA Sat+, but the maximum brightness is a tad higher... you'd use this mode with an ordinary external lamp timer.
2) 24/7 mode is probably too bright without CO2 at 16".. it's really a solid upper-medium or even lower-high light running at max at that depth. 24/7 mode is not adjustable other than changing what time it is. It will always be at max brightness at 3pm. The interesting bit is that this light has a relatively short duration of max brightness... I'm really not sure how that affects algae. Time will tell.
3) At "max" I'd say it intensifies blue a tad more than the planted+, but red is not as strong. However, either through manual adjustment or 24/7 mode there's a wide variety of color balances possible.
4) It will definitely be suitable if you don't plan on using 24/7 mode.. It might even work in 24/7 mode, but my guess is that will be a bit too much light. I only have experience running it in 24/7 mode on a 21" tall 36-bowfront.

Going by how I run my Chinese 18 LED 5050 SMD bar, which goes to full blast from 1-2pm to 2amish, then a blue/red mix for the rest of the time on low (sorry, no PAR meter) without any visible algae I don't mind running it 24/7. Then again, I have a bunch of tank cleaners that are going at the tank knife, fork and rammer the whole time. They'll still demolish any food I put in there, regardless.

The 6500k CFL is another matter entirely. 10 hours on a timer and I've got brown crap waving at me from my plants, the smug so and so. Not a surprise, I did it on purpose to make sure there was something to eat in there when the cycle is done.

At 16", we get 60 PAR at full power/3pm. IIRC, 30 PAR is considered "high". More than that for extended periods of time and we're looking at parboiled plants, no? Hurhurhur see what I did there? PAR. Boiled. ?

Going by how I run my Chinese 18 LED 5050 SMD bar, which goes to full blast from 1-2pm to 2amish, then a blue/red mix for the rest of the time on low (sorry, no PAR meter) without any visible algae I don't mind running it 24/7. Then again, I have a bunch of tank cleaners that are going at the tank knife, fork and rammer the whole time. They'll still demolish any food I put in there, regardless.

The 6500k CFL is another matter entirely. 10 hours on a timer and I've got brown crap waving at me from my plants, the smug so and so. Not a surprise, I did it on purpose to make sure there was something to eat in there when the cycle is done.

At 16", we get 60 PAR at full power/3pm. IIRC, 30 PAR is considered "high". More than that for extended periods of time and we're looking at parboiled plants, no? Hurhurhur see what I did there? PAR. Boiled. ?

I've used CFLs to supplement the Planted+ in my tank with great results. I have CFLs over my temp shrimp tank as I try to salvage some moss.
60 PAR? Try 105 PAR. That is what I was running when I had the Planted+ AND FugeRay on the 20 long. I only ran the lights together for an hour or two because it was tricky supplying enough CO2 to keep up with it.
I have not heard back from the person originally inquiring about the 24/7 over a 75g. Probably away for the holiday. My tank is in desperate need of a trim and I wanted to unload some plants and substrate that I am not using.

Holy laser beams Batman! That's nuts to me. Fair enough, I guess ._. Moss grows like kudzu in Mister's ditto set up. No ferts, no co2, same lights. Moss growing like crazy. I dunno. I think there's a plant fairy that doesn't like me as much. We'll find out I guess hahaha

There are folks here that chug along with some pretty high PAR values.
Interestingly, I started out with a couple stray strands of Phoenix moss (Fissidens fontanus) and it quietly grew to a few peach size mounds. Java moss, on the other hand, is a snake in the grass in my tank. It's fronds weave through the under growth. I pull it out when I can.
The fastest I have seen moss grow was in a 20 long, single T-8, no ferts. Flame moss occupied 50-60% of the actual tank volume.
Still no reply from the other person. Turns out no auction and I want to throw plant trimmings and substrate at this person (was also looking for a cap for organic soil). Oh well.
Anyone want to add input regarding the 24/7 over a 75g, please do so.

I used Seachem Onyx sand and Nature something black sand to cap. MTS went in after the last huge even, they already disappeared XD

I posted the different time color differences in my 40b album. Good range! The tank is over co2'D right now (very light green checker) but the DHG is happily bubbling along.

Back
Top Bottom