75G WON”T Cycle…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebrez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, but not new to Fishkeeping.
I currently have two tanks, n existing 29G Long (fully cycled and operating fine) and a new 75G (planted) that I am currently attempting to cycle.
I am doing the fishless cycle (running tank at 84 degrees), started with raw shrimp but couldn’t stand the smell after a week, so went to pure ammonia. Here the issue: Whether it was shrimp or straight ammonia, my Ammonia has been steady at 4 ppm, Nitrite is in between 0 - .25, and Nitrate is in the middle also .25.
I’m using a HW-302 Filter, with (bottom to top) White Filter material (which came with it), Ceramic Bio Tubes, and then finally a Carbon bag with Floss. Water is crystal clear and doesn’t have any weird smells (now that the Shrimp are gone ;-).
I took two used filters out of the 29G and put them in the 75G for about a week or so.
Most of the ornaments in the take are new, just few are from the old tank. Substrate is completely new (Heavily rinsed play sand and new gravel).
I’m testing my water daily using the API Master Freshwater Kit, and shake the hell out the bottles before testing.
I have resisted water changes, but am starting to get frustrated. I filled the tank September 8th.
Am I missing something? I’m doing the same thing I did with the 29, and it cycled in like 2 weeks. I know its double the water, but this is ridiculous.

What brand of ammonia? Is it pure? Does the label say anything about surfactants or dyes or perfumes? Does it foam when you shake it?

Did you add dechlorinator when you filled up the tank? If so, how much and what brand?

Is there sufficient surface agitation either from the filter output or/and an air stone?

What's your PH? If the PH drops too much it can stall things.

I'd do a full water change, add a double-dose of dechlorinator and wait an hour or so and test ammonia again in case you overdosed. If it's between 1 and 4, leave it alone don't add more (and if it is then you probably overdosed which can stall the cycle) and see if it starts to drop. If it's 0, add enough to get it to 2. If it's over 4, do another water change. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!!
The brand is called Pinehurst. When you shake it doesn’t foam at all, it’s clear as a bell and burns your nose when you smell it, so definitely no perfumes. ;-)
I did add use Jungle Start Right Complete, something I’ve used successfully for year on my other tank. When that is gone, I will be switching to PRIME’s
I’m currently using an 18” Air Bar and additionally have a 7w Power head moving things around a bit.
He has been consistently sitting @ 7.6.
I always thought that 5PPM was the perfect amount of ammonia for cycling, is that no correct?

Good, seems like things are progressing. Is ammonia still at 4? Personally I'd do a large water change to replenish nutrients and buffers in the water, sometimes that can kick-start things. 5 ppm of ammonia is ok, just don't go higher than that; as it is 4 ppms of ammonia is plenty. If ammonia is too high it can actually prevent the bacteria from forming as well.

Sorry so late, ammonia dropped hard, now about 2ppm. Nitrites spiked at 5ppm today.

I did do a 10% change with double dose of stater. Everything seems to be going now...

With you help, I lowered the ammonia from 5ppm to 4 and that's when the spike happened!!

Thanks!!!

Sorry what I meant by lowering from 5 to 4, is the amount of ammonia that I was adding (based on an online calculator). Every day it was testing at 4ppm, I would add 14ML of ammonia in the attempt to raise it to 5.

Back
Top Bottom