8 Gal Biocube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All :)

Since the previous thread had a question attached, I am reposting this build so it is "only" the build :)

I am now up to day 20. THe liverock is curing nicely and at a check last night of something "strange" I found a sponge, at least I think it is a sponge. It is just a hair opaque but it definitely has a sponge look to it and it wasn't there a couple of weeks ago when I started the tank.

The coraline is starting to come back and coloring nicely..I have a lot of pink with some green and darker pinks (not quite red). I did rearrange the liverock slightly as I had to scrub off, gently, some brown algae on one piece..too much light for now I guess. I also didn't like that one piece sitting so close to the top and right to the side of the flow return...you can see that in the day 10 picture.

I took water parameters on Wednesday. Ammonia and Nitrites were both 0..I didn't read the rest as yet. What concerns me slightly is that as far as I can tell, the ammonia only topped out at 1 about 10 days ago. I am only testing every week so it may have gone up and come back down between tests. I am going to wait another couple of weeks just to make sure things stay steady before starting a slow stocking. I am debating if I want to upgrade slightly to a 12 gallon just because I really want a clown goby and from what I have seen, they are a ten gallon+ type fish :) I figure the transfer to a 12 will not be difficult as I have enough liverock in both the 8 gal and the 29 gal I am working on to transfer. The only thing it would cost me is time to transfer everything..well, that and the tank :)

The pics from day 1, 10 and 20 are below. Please keep the advice coming :)

Day one is top left; day 10 top right; day 20 on the bottom.

Terese

Attachments

• Day One.jpg
    Day One.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Day Ten.jpg
    Day Ten.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Day 20.jpg
    Day 20.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 61
Your tank is awesome. I really love the rockwork. Its going to look awesome with coral. You are making it a reef right? :D

Reef yes :)..at least that is the ultimate goal if I can ever decide which corals I want to get :)

The 8 gallon has now turned into a 14 gallon :) with a CUC on the way, set for delivery on Saturday. I have just a hint of Nitrates and phosphates so decided to add in the CUC first; calcium was also a hair low. I had to use tap water temporarilty so I think that is where the nitrates and phosphates are coming from. My new RO unit has arrived and is running out that first 10 gallons you can't use, so, am hoping to get the "good" stuff going later this evening. If I can do a good 50% change with the new RO water prior to Saturday's delivery, those Nitrates and Phosphates should be almost undetectable. All other parameters are at optimum. Pics on Sunday or so once the new "critters" have settled in.

Day 43

Good evening all :)

CUC arrived nice and healthy and I have added them to both the 14 BioCube and the 38 gallon. The snails and hermits are having a proverbial filed day and have been actively engaged in doing their jobs once I got them acclimated.

I found a smaller fish store that not only has pre-mixed RO/DI saltwater, they also sell cured liverock. It isn't so much cured as it is freshly "caught." They get in shipments on a weekly basis; time from ocean to store is only 6 hours. I live, literally, a minute and a half from the store; sooooooooooooooooo, I cheated a bit :) I removed the liverock from the 14 that was finished curing and used it to fill the extra rock I needed for the 38 (up from a 29). I put the "pretty" liverock in the 14. This rock is already full of various types of corals, most of which I have yet to identify, as well as carrying a good growth of money plant (?) and Caulerpa. The lady at the store identified some tube coral and I know there is also a sponge in there.

Using the pre-mixed RO/DI, I did a good 50% water change on Thursday and now, Nitrates and Phosphates are both reading 0.

This will be day 43.

Attachments

• Day 43.jpg
    Day 43.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 93
A Few More Pics Closer Shots

A few more shots. The pic with the yellow border is around something that reminds me of a geometry shape. Can anyone identify?

Attachments

• Question1.jpg
    Question1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 75
  • Scarlet1.jpg
    Scarlet1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Sponge1.jpg
    Sponge1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Tube1.jpg
    Tube1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 70
Final pic..another shot of what I believe is the tube coral.

Attachments

• Tube2.jpg
    Tube2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 78
:)...I admit the question wasn't clear. I KNOW it's a circle....but what is the animal/coral/worm?

Looks like a Mini Carpet Anemone

Here is what it should look like if it looks like this...
img_1039994_0_7c894404599ef5243f09b7c760607079.jpg

Back
Top Bottom