90 gal Damsel tank--filtration needs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not saying that water changes haven't been successful in removing nitrates, but never worked for me.

I wouldn't use chemicals unless I was going to loose some corals or something, but a chemical called Nitrex is really good and Kent produces something called Nitrate sponge that I haven't used myself, but hear it is very good too.

I thought carbon does not remove nitrates, are you saying different?
Which is the main reason for buying live rock and a protein skimmer.

I personally would not use chemical to remove nitrate. Is just that I have not heard of anyone using chemical and was curious. I have tried Kent's nitrate sponge with little success. But I didn't think carbon could remove nitrate though.

My Dad use to use a product called denitrate and I see they still sell it. He would put it in his HOB filter. I can't tell you what sucess he had with it, because he never bought a nitrate tester. But i can tell you he had a deep sand bed with no live rock and he kept a slew of invertebrates and fish.

on the carbon thing, I have never known carbon to remove nitrates. some carbon might have deep enough poores to keep the bacteria level up to eat the nitrates, but unlikely.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Carbon will help keep your water clean and prevent nitrates, but it doesn't accually remove the nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom