90 Gallon planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7282

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am looking for some advice on my 90 gallon i am in the process of starting. So, I have a 90 gallon aquarium with about 100# of seachem flourite. I have about 250 watts of fluorescent lighting, I am using an Eheim 2028 and a Emperor 400 for my filtration. I also have a aquaclear 50 powerhead with a filter attachment on the bottom of it. Ok, so down to the point, I am looking for some advice from people who have learned the hard way, currently I having trouble with the plants growing and turning yellow:mad:, What can I do? I know i need co2 but I currently dont have the money....My ph is about 7.5 my nitrite and ammonia are at zero and my nitrate is at 20ppm........my tank is fully cycled......What is going on???? Just looking for some good advice from someone who has been thorugh this before! No problem growing algae!!!!!:D
Thank you!!!

sounds like a deficiency to me. but i've only had a planted tank for a couple weeks.

as far as co2. the only money i've spent on my system is for yeast, sugar and some bottles of coca cola (that i mixed with bacardi, the buzz has made my experience a lot more fun). everything else i've had laying around my house. i dont know how efficient diy would be on a 90 gallon but i'm sure some would help. be creative.

Ouch, high light and no CO2. DIY is not efficient on that sized tank so that's not an option. You'd do well to lower your lighting until you can get your hands on a full CO2 setup.

Sounds like potassium or phosphorus deficiency. Consider fertilizer, and price out a CO2 system. You can get a pressurized system running for around $180.

What kind of lighting do you have over the tank (type of bulbs, color temperature, duration?).

img_967221_0_48552d8a8a9f1b7841a41fd8ef32d616.jpg
old pic of my tank same size with diy co2 fed into a power head

Get some fertz and a carbon source diy co2 or excell or both you should be able to grow lots .

Thats Weird............when i saw your tank in this pic, i though it was mine....minus the luscious green plants!!!! Any advice on doing this co2 myself?????? I have a aqua clear powerhead that has a hose attachment for it, I could easily run a co2 hose into that........from what it sounds like thats what you did............Any help would be much appreciated!!!! Thank you!!

Yeah i used a aqua clear 30 with the same filter attachment as you. That's the way i started.2x2litre coke bottles switching one every week with new mix.Like jchillin said i started with 130 watt pc a lot less light then you.And as fort said upgraded to a pressurized system.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!Saved me alot of wasted time and money!!!!! I have 2 all glass aquarium triple tube light strips they are 106 watts each i run one from 11-9 and the other I use for a 2 hour long midday blast.....Currently I am using the standard bulbs that came with the lights.........Any suggestions as to what kind of bulbs I should be using for best photosynthesis and plant growth results.........Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom