90 gallon reef lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickthapainter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have decided to go the MH route from the start (otherwise I'll end up upgrading later)!

Tank is 24 inches deep.

I'm looking at the 48" Aquaspacelights @ Captivereefs (wife loves the look of the fixtures)

Would I absolutely need to get the dual 250's or will the dual 150's be enough light to possibly keep clams and other light loving corals happy?

I live in Florida, so heat issues are of a foremost concern (will be an open tank)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

(many apologies for putting up yet another "watts per gallon / light intensity-penetration" )

Cheers

nick

I have the Coralife MH hood and it is spectacular. It is a 2X150W MH setup with 2X96W actinic PC lights as well. I have mine over a 72G which is also 48" wide so you could use the same one on your 90G. With that much light, 5.5watts/G you should be able to keep just about anything. Clams or SPS you might need to put higher up in the tank, but they will love the MH.

I got my light from www.captivereefs.com and used the AA discount. I highly suggest it.

tripper

I like the fact that the Coralife hood is remote ballasted (less heat in close proximity to the water).

How high do you keep your lights from the surface of the water?

Would I be able to mount these lights as a pendant (easier to place fans delow the bulbs)

TIA

nick

I have a 250w MH about 10" over a 44 gallon tank in a hood that's 75% enclosed. I put 2 fans in there just in case, but there is no noticeable temperature increase - and that's with the fans off.

you can use the aqualight pro as a hanging pendant or set it on the tank with the included legs. Coralife has a $20 kit that allows you to hang it from the cieling and adjust the height.

If I was chooseing a MH system for a 90 gal I would go with 250's, instead of 150's. The depth on a 90gal would require higher wattage lighting to penetrate to the bottom. However, I am sure the 150's would be fine for most soft corals.

Back
Top Bottom