A bit clueless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bellaboo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there,

Firstly, you'll need to explain everything to me like you'd explain it to a child lol I've read so much about cycling and all this stuff And I grasp the concept, help grow bacteria, amonia is needed for this, bacteria eventually convert amonia to nitrite, then nitrite to nitrate, water change helps remove it, weeks later all done and happy fish, or from what I gather, but everywhere online I can find explains the process, but not actually HOW to do it, there are no step by step instructions anywhere, just lots of rambling about bacteria but not how to actually do it on a practical level.

For my Fish loving 2 year olds birthday I bought a little 24ltr tank just to have a couple of little fish in for her to look at from pets at home. They said to just set it all up with the water and tap safe and leave it 3 days then come back and get the fish. It's a little cheap tank they do with a little filter that has a little tube thingy that sits about the water and spits a stream of water out to make more oxygen I assume? Anyway so I washed all the gravel and decorations and placed them in, along with the love fish tap safe and also love fish filter booster, which says to add a double dose daily for 7 days, so I measured it out with a syringe and added what the pack says. Sorted I thought, now just wait a bit and get fish, wrong I guess. A couple of days later the water turned milky, not massively so, but enough that I can notice it which im told is bacteria? Anyway my question is, what should I do now? I don't want to spend a fortune on testing kits and everything just for a couple of tiny fish but at the same time I don't want to harm any little fishys I may get. All advice welcome! And sorry its so long!

Also sorry think I've posted in the wrong forum! I just clicked on "getting started" from the main website and just realised this is a saltwater/reef forum.

How u ever gunna know when ur tank is cycled if u cant test the water?
How u gunna make sure ur water has the right KH and GH for ur fish?
Fish are no different to any other pet, its gunna cost money to keep them.
Its the keepers responsibility to provide the best environment possible.
They are relying on you to keep them healthy, they cant change their water.
If there is a problem, you need to work it out.
Ive never seen a fish buying a gravel vac in my lfs..

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Invest in a testing kit, the API one lasts a very long time. There aren't too many more things you need :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom