a bit OT but conspecific agression in largemouth bass.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IvanMike

Aquarium Advice Freak
Mods - sorry if this is the wrong forum (i'm a mod myself on talkbass.com) - but i could not find a forum specific to natives.

I have kept a largemouth bass with oscars, other neotropicals and large tinfoil barbs in a 125 years ago and had great sucess. When my oscar died, after i greived i went out and used a barbless hook to secure 4 small (3 TL) largmouth which are now in a 50 breeder with plenty of cover. I've heard and seen rather fierce aggression towards con-specifics among lepomis, but was knocked out that the aggression of these micropterous. Fortunately they lack the dentition to do serious damage, but they are quite cichlid like in their behavior. I imagine this may settle down in time (just as it does in peacock bass and oscar types), but it's rather pronounced.

Unfortunately my google-fu only provided me with tons of billy-bob-roy-cletus bassmasters secrets to landing lunker bass. :banghead:

Surely others have experienced this eh?

On a related note I've always followed Dr Loiselle's approach to getting fish to eat pellets (or whatever) so far no dice on pellets (the old doro-min) but krill are readily accepted (as are the copious earthworms in the compost heap and the occasional fish). I was able to get the bass in the community tank to eat pellets almost at once, but i think it was due to fierce competition with cichlids that were willing to eat the more plebian fare - heck it took a week of no food and raisded temps to get them to eat krill!

Not looking for help so much as if others have seen this behavior from LMB.

Back
Top Bottom