A couple of questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annielauri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so my cycle has finally finished!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHH! I tested yesterday and today and am finally showing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about 20 nitrates.

1st question - My fish are pretty used to having twice daily water changes of up to 50%. I was doing tons of it because of going through the cycle and not wanting them to feel sick. So, now that things have stabilized, should I slowly back off on the water changes? Or, am I good to go on just doing them once a week?

2nd question - My PH is really high. My reg. tap after sitting for 2 days with no chemicals added is at about 8.0. I tested my tank this morning and it is at about 8.6 - 8.8. What are some natural ways to lower PH? I really don't want to be adding tons of chemicals if I can help it.

My fish are all looking good except for the one platy that gets picked on. Are they (mollies, platys, and albino cories) OK with that high of a PH?

YOu can drop to once a week now that things seem to have stabilized. I'd keep testing for another few days daily just to be sure.

A good way to lower pH is by adding driftwood, although I don't know how low you're hoping to go. A stable pH is more important than a targetted pH., as long as fish are acclimated to it properly.

neilanh said:
YOu can drop to once a week now that things seem to have stabilized. I'd keep testing for another few days daily just to be sure.

A good way to lower pH is by adding driftwood, although I don't know how low you're hoping to go. A stable pH is more important than a targetted pH., as long as fish are acclimated to it properly.
Agreed! My tap PH is right at 8. After adding driftwood to the tank, it dropped to 7.5.

Back
Top Bottom