a cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTY1705

Aquarium Advice Freak
Due to my wife wanting new carpet installed, I was forced to break my tank down last night. I have saved 30 gallons of the water and have the fish and live rock in 5 gallon buckets. I removed all of the sand and am replacing it wth all araganite sand. I have biowheels on my filter and still have the rock and water. With this should I expect a cycle when I put the tank back together? If so how long can the fish survive in a 5 gallon bucket. I have a piece or two of LR in there for hiding and an airstone and heater. Will they be ok for 2-3 days?

BTW also with new carpet she wants the tank in a wall now. So I will be building a wall to place the tank in and will post pictures on progress. I hope to be done by friday night and have the tank up and running by Saturday. Any ideas on how to build this would be great. And yes I have read the 150 in wall or whatever. That looks great!!!!!

2 Clowns about 1" each
1 Coral beauty about 3"
3 turbo snails
10 blue leg hermits
3-5 pounds live rock

I think the biggest problem you're going to have in a 5g bucket would be ammo and water changes (still the 3 fish in your profile?). Maybe a 30g garbage can would do better for you. If you had one of those around for mixing SW in that would be great. Then a couple of pieces of live rock, a power head and a heater and you're all set.

Keep the bio wheels in motion in some water (with an ammo load preferably (shrimp? food?)). If you're going to replace the sand that you had then you'll probably see a cycle as you may be tossing out some of your load bearing. Did you save a cup to seed the new sand? If so all the better.

Keep the live rock heated as well (again a powerhead would be good here).

Good luck and be sure to update us on your progress!

I didn't think to heat the rock. Will it being at room temp be ok? I only have on heater. No go on the 30 gallon. I do have about 4-5 cups of sand available for seeding from the LFS. How much ammonia would i expect to see in 2 days. I hope to have the wall built tonight and have sheetrocked tomorow and tank installed late late friday. Fish are the same as profile and have been in bucket since about 8:00 pm last night. Am I looking at disaster here??????

Check your ammo. React based on that. Don't feed your fish no matter how much they beg! Maybe you'll get through it unscathed. You should be able to do water changes out of the container that your live rock is in and by putting the water from the fish bucket back in you'll keep ammo in there to feed the rock. Rock suffers through worse being shipped so I'm sure you'll get through this without too much pain and suffering. Keep us posted!

Well after long thought and a little work the framing us up for the new wall. 24" wide, 5'-0" long and all the way to th ceiling. Lucky for me I have friends. We got the framing all put up in about 3 hours. Drywall comes today. Have another friend putting electrical in on Saturday. Will have tank up and running hoping late late Friday night (extendion cords). Wife is very pleased with results. Will post pics and explanations when finshed with project. Thanks for all the help Phyl.

Oh by the way the carpet that was given to us was not large enough to cover the room. So no new carpet :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!!!!!!
All that work and nothing to show except my dream!! An in wall tank!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom