a cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys! My 55 Gallon fish in cycle appears to have completed. However, I am still only getting 5 pom nitrates. I have no plants yet so I know this can't be right. I use a master test kit from API. I am getting zeros for ammonia and nitrite after a very long nitrite spike. I feel like trates should be at least 30 or more!

Ordinarily I would say you are correct, I would expect them to be higher. I would check to make sure your cycle is complete by dosing the ammonia to 2 ppm and test again the next day. If ammonia and nitrites are at 0 then you have confirmed your cycle is complete. The Nitrates should also increase.

Have you done any water changes? That will affect the Nitrate levels.

Well I have fish in there so ammonia probably isn't the best idea. Or is it? I mean I am pleased with these results but I'm in disbelief. I did a 50% pwc Monday morning when I returned from out of town. The thing is, I went out of town with nitrites at 5. The water sat for three days w/o water changes. (I was doing 50% changes daily previously ) I grabbed a sample of water and it was perfect! Except for 5 ppm nitrate. You know I'm going to shake the bottle harder when I retest. Maybe that's all.

If you have fish do NOT dose ammonia. I would not consider it unusual for the Nitrites to disappear. Thats the purpose of cycling. The ammonia is changed to Nitrites by bacteria. It takes some time for that bacteria to develop. A different strain of bacteria convert the Nitrites to Nitrates. That bacteria starts to grow when the Nitrates are created. (Thats why it takes so long to cycle a tank) If you did a water change prior to testing that is probably why your Nitrate level is low and at 5 I wouldnt be worried about it all that much. Keep it at less than 10 for sure. A partial change will lower it or if you plan to add plants that will help keep the Nitrates down.

I know it's hard to look at a box of water but let me add this, and this is something I am still cultivating as I am building my first saltwater tank. Patience is everything. Dont rush to stock the tank until you are 120% positive the tank has fully cycled. Add stock gradually, not all at once, so the bacteria will adjust gradually to the increased bio load. As David Carradine often heard, "Patience, Grasshopper."

What type/how many fish do you have? Its possible that your bioload is not large enough to show a big increase in nitrates on a regular basis. As long as your ammonia and nitrite are zero, theres nothing to worry about. Just continue with your weekly water changes to removed dissolved solids and restore bufffers. :)

Retired_AF said:
If you have fish do NOT dose ammonia. I would not consider it unusual for the Nitrites to disappear. Thats the purpose of cycling. The ammonia is changed to Nitrites by bacteria. It takes some time for that bacteria to develop. A different strain of bacteria convert the Nitrites to Nitrates. That bacteria starts to grow when the Nitrates are created. (Thats why it takes so long to cycle a tank) If you did a water change prior to testing that is probably why your Nitrate level is low and at 5 I wouldnt be worried about it all that much. Keep it at less than 10 for sure. A partial change will lower it or if you plan to add plants that will help keep the Nitrates down.
..."

Right on:

The Nitrogen Cycle:
Fish waste and uneaten food creates Ammonia.
Nitrosomonas convert Ammonia to Nitrites.
Nitrobacter converts Nitrites to Nitrates.
Regular partial water changes (PWC) is the most effective way to reduce Nitrates.

Also... keep that filter media until it is clogged or is falling apart. Just gently rinse with tank water in a bucket when it starts to get clogged.

Retired_AF said:

I know it's hard to look at a box of water but let me add this, and this is something I am still cultivating as I am building my first saltwater tank. Patience is everything. Dont rush to stock the tank until you are 120% positive the tank has fully cycled. Add stock gradually, not all at once, so the bacteria will adjust gradually to the increased bio load. As David Carradine often heard, "Patience, Grasshopper."

The lovely petsmart staff ok'd adding my stock 24 hrs after safe start. But no, I grabbed my sample before my pwc. And its been hanging at 5 daily. I'm not really worried but just thought my trates would be higher. I have a featherfin catfish, a yellow lab, 2 jewels, 2 acei, a auratus and a pleco. It seems like my bioload fits the tank!

I wouldn't worry too much a long as ammonia and nitrite are 0. Also if you're usin the API kit, I'd suggest shaking and banging both nitrate bottles on a hard surface for 30 seconds before putting them into the tube. Bottle #2 in particular has a reagent powder that can get clumped and cause inaccurate readings. Then vigorously shake the tube for a full 60 seconds and then wait 5 minutes for a reading.

Thanks. I have been shaking that thing until I can't shake it any more! I added more fish today so I will watch my levels closely.

Back
Top Bottom