a few questions on a filter upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowfish7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29gal tropical freshwater tank that has been running on an undergravel filter way too long.

I am going to move the fish to my secondary 10gal tank, and then clean the 29gal. by just wiping the algae off the glass and rinsing the gravel. Then I am going to switch to a HOB filter. I am a little concerned about the possibility that the filter will backup and overflow. And the noise level -- I understand canisters are quieter (but I am not quite ready for the price of them). This is going to be in my TV room - I hope the HOB isn't too distracting. Of course, the air pump I use for the UG is pretty noisy, so maybe the HOB is quieter than that.

So I am looking at the Hagen AquaClear 50. I am hoping there is some flow control, and then I can use it in the 10gal to seed the media with bacteria. I have been reading up on cycling (i haven't done it for ages), and from what I've found, leaving the new filter in an established tank for 7 days should be enough. But I am not sure how long to leave it in the newly cleaned tank before re-introducing the fish.

Also, what additional filter media should I get when I order the Aqua Clear? I don't know how much BioMax comes with it or if another media is better. BTW, how long does the BioMax last? I suppose that depends on how much particulate gets into the pores?

The filter will not be noisy at all. It is a hum. As long as you raise the water level so it's not trickling into the water but flowing into it, you won't have a problem. The hum probably sounds like someone using an electric toothbrush through a closer doorway. The only time you will hear noise from the filter itself will be when it needs to be cleaned.

The filter will come with foam, carbon and biomax, I think. The carbon can be used if you want but a lot of people don't. if you do, it needs to be replaced every month. The foam block will last the better part of a year before it gets too tattered to keep using. I rinse my foam block out about once a month (in tank-temp, dechlorinated water) and put it back in (I have an AC 70 on my 55). When the block starts to go, put a new one in on top of the old one for a month and that will seed the new one. Then next filter cleaning the old one can safely be thrown out. The biomax will last forever.....I rinse it off each time I clean the filter and then it goes back in. The biomax is really just a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on, so it really never goes bad.

I would run the HOB along with the UG for a month and then take the fish out, remove the UG and put the fish back in. Don't clean the HOB at the same time (wait a week or so) and you shouldn't see a cycle.

FYI it is pretty impossible for an HOB to overflow.....that's what they do anyway! And mine are pretty quiet. sometimes the impeller will get a little noisy but that it usually its way of letting you know that it wants to be cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom