a how to on DIY lighting. BIG post, lots of pics UDATED!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yah thats really to bad...its only 6bucks to have it shipped to me :\
you also need a needle valve, especially with a low pressure diffuser. I would also suggest making a bubble counter. You can make it out of a spice jar. You just drill a hole in the top put in two tubes, one input and one out put, and seal it with silicone. A glass jar would probably be the best to use. Here is a quick computer sketch of what it looks like

Attachments

• bubblecounter_191.jpg
    bubblecounter_191.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,466
i dont need a bubble counter becasue i have the hagen co2 ladder which will be my bubble counter. sirlunch box said that his system is complete but i only need his regualtor which i will assume comes with a needle valve or the regulator is designed to only release a little co2. nice sketch thoug i actually understand that lol i have never got any of the other pics on the net.

nice sketch thoug i actually understand that lol i have never got any of the other pics on the net.
thanks!

you should consider staining your light fixture. It looks like it has a nice grain, darkening it with stain will make it look a lot cleaner.

i was thinink about stain to match the stand i built and stained but i used 2 different types of wood for the hood so it may come out lookin kinda funny. i have a really thick spray paint that comes out lookin like plastic almost... i forget the type. and thanks green maji next time they will be overdriven and i will make a p[os on that 2.

well i had a question about the ballast i used so i thought i would give a close up of the ballast so people have an example of what to buy. it is cles enough to read everything aswell. hope it helps
img_618944_0_66f279cac37da8a1ec2501316c73c5a9.jpg

Good job! And thanks for this thread! I've wanted to try this for a long time now, and I think I'll finally have a go at it :wink: (During summer....don't have time now) :)

mr funktastic said:
i am going to bend a peice of polished something to act as a reflector. and also i did plan on painting it.
A couple notes on reflectors:

When using florecent bulbs, a grounded metallic reflector may be advisable for safety.

That said, white paint is nearly as effective as a mirror in conserving light. The mirror is well polished so that the light is reflected coherently enough to see your image. The white paint has a not so smooth texture, but does not absorb a significant amount of light, rather reflecting it back into the aquarium.

i found some old mirror that i am going to cut to fit in a day or 2. i think this is the best option for reflection and the easiest way to do it. thanks for your opinion though always appreciate it.

there's usually a grounding hole on the side of the ballast to ground a metal reflector to the ballast.
the wiring diagram on the ballasts says its to the right on the long side of the ballast out of view on yours mr funktastic.

Back
Top Bottom