a little confused...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I started my 11 gal tank about 6 months back. I never cycled it or tested the water because I had not discovered the wealth of info that is AA! :D
and did not think I needed too. I got 4 African Dwarf Frogs at first, about a month later got a cory and a bristlenose catfish and recently got 2 juvenile angels. All my animals have been healthy and thriving and I haven't had a problem with cloudy water.

Recently I have been a bit confused, I have been reading up on aquarium cycles which is happenning at the same time as I am learning the nitrogen cycle at school (what a coincidence!) and i think I understand that you have to add pure ammonia when you first set up your aquarium (or filter) to remove harmful nitrates?

Also, I have always done full water changes and put my fish/frogs in a bucket . I have felt I have had to do this as the substrate (I have pebbles which are very hard to clean - might be switching soon) gets very dirty. However I am afraid to do this with my angels as I have read they are delicate. Can I do partial water changes all the time? If so how do I clean the substrate?

Please excuse the ramblings, If you could enlighten me I would be grateful. Thanks.

When I first started out with my aquarium, I did the same thing! Isn't this place great? Are you planning to get a bigger tank anytime soon? I think that when your Angels get bigger, they will be very cramped in an 11 gallon tank. For now, partial water changes once or twice a week would be good. Its helpful if you can get a gravel vacuum to suck out the detritus from the gravel.
Also here is an article on the nitrogen cycle. Hope this clears up some things for you. :D

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

The reason I have started to look into cycling etc is that I am going to get a 55 gal aquarium for my angels when they get bigger, wow read my mind 8O

P.s Does anyone know how to keep the angels when I change the the substrate etc. How do I maintain the temperature?

Thanks for your advice. :)

Hard to clean pebbles? What exactly is it that you're trying to clean off of them? What kind (brand if you can) of substrate do you have?

Changing the substrate at the same time you are cycling is a very bad idea. Your beneficial bacteria is just beginning to colonize in their...disturbing it now will romove it and stall the cycle.

Have you tested your parameters yet? This would be a good idea at this point. I personally recommend the AP (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) FW test kits for NH3, NO2, NO3 and ph.

A cycled tank will have the following readings:

NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 20-40ppm

What you will want to do, is set up your 55 gallon tank, cycle it, and then move your angels over. You can use some gravel from your ten gallon to seed the bacteria, and also some of your current filter media.

i'm not cycling my 11 gal at the mo, it has been set up for 6 months about. I'm thinking to changing this aquarium's substrate from pebbles to gravel as it is hard to get the grime from under the pebbles, and if I get gravel I could use a gravel vacumn.

Do you advise testing the parameters in my already established tank to get a feel for them?

Also, Do I need to change the carbon in my filter media? I have read in some places you do have to and I have also read it is important to keep it the same.

Back
Top Bottom