A new kind of wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Up to this point I have been very happy with the Malaysian Driftwood my LFS carries and have made good use of it in my tanks.

as of late however I have been on the look out for some driftwood that has more of a "root-like" look to it (as the Malaysian wood I have found as used is more "chunky") then the other day I was walking though the reptile department of Petco and saw what the called Mopani wood.

The tag on the wood said it was aquarium safe, but I was hoping to get the opinion of you all.

The wood will be used in a 75 gallon that I am slowly setting up for eartheaters.

So is Mopani wood aquarium safe?

Also...Does it sink by it's self or do i need to attach some slate?

Mopani usually sinks on its own. Mopani is my favorite type of driftwood. Perfectly safe. I have found it to have lots of tannins though. However, I kind of like the yellowed look it gives my low light planted 20g. The mopani I have I picked up cheap on aquabid.

Here's a pic(not the greatest) of the piece of mopani in my 20g. This is right after I put it in so the tannins had not released into the water yet. I can get better pics if you'd like.

black hills tj said:
Mopani usually sinks on its own. Mopani is my favorite type of driftwood. Perfectly safe. I have found it to have lots of tannins though. However, I kind of like the yellowed look it gives my low light planted 20g. The mopani I have I picked up cheap on aquabid.

Here's a pic(not the greatest) of the piece of mopani in my 20g. This is right after I put it in so the tannins had not released into the water yet. I can get better pics if you'd like.
thanks

where is the pic?

I have Mopani wood in my Apisto tanks. The two tone coloration of the wood really breaks up the green monotony of low light planted tanks and accents the colors of the fish very nicely. I am very pleased with it.

img_819312_0_61523121090c6eeac13906abd44d190d.jpg

there ya go

sorry hehe

I have to second black hills tj--I love it. Sinks quickly. I also had it discolor the water for ever. Had carbon in the filter for months before it cleared. Here's it in my little tank (in case you need more examples). :)

Attachments

• smalltank_106.jpg
    smalltank_106.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 21
Mopani looks to me to be the same stuff that Aqualand in Mpls sells as African Rootwood. Look for my recent thread in New Aquisitions to see some I've got. It sinks like a rock, and I like it a lot. I'm curious if the price at the chains is any better than Aqualand (which is $9/lb). If you get some, I'd appreciate it if you'd weigh it and see.

Back
Top Bottom