A quick killifish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS aquired a shipment of Killifish which were abandoned and they have quite a few of them. They are cool fish and would gladly by one or two. I have been getting conflicting answers as to keeping them in a community tank? Some people have told me aggressive and some told they are not. I would love to rescue one or two.
My Tank:
29g
3 corys
1 dwarf
4 phantom cat
1 BN pleco
3 red minor tetras
3 rasporas
1 EB ram
6 neon tetras

Thanks

I have 4 gardner killis in my community tank ( they are not called gardner but something similar) in my tank I have angles, neon tetras, raspboras, glofish, emperor tetras, amano shrimp, SAG, and then the killis they all seem to get along just fine.

Yeah, I don't think I'd add them if I were you....you're pretty stocked and they are very active fish that need to be stocked in groups of a minimum of 5, 2 males to 3 females. I would maybe instead up the numbers on a couple of your fish to proper school size..ideally you should have:
cories 4-6
ghost cats 6
red minor tetras 6
rasbora 6

I had 2 gardneri killifish in my 29 for a while and they were terrors..or atleast the male was. He was costantly taking chunks out of his tankmates and harassing the female. One day I realized they, or atleast the female, was eating whole sinking wafers I put in for the cories, and 2 days later I found them both dead. I was bummed, they were beautiful. I was hoping to get some more, but I knew this time I should follow the advice I have read which is to stock 2 males to atleast 3 females...when I kept one of each he was bothering her constantly. The 2:3 ratio is supposed to be the most peaceful way to keep them. This was over a month ago they died. Then a couple nights ago I found 4 killifish babies in that tank :)

Honestly I don't know, I just remember the guy saying they were killifish. They are cool fish having horizontal stripes and have the body shape of a northern pike. I have an emperor 280. I thought it might be too much, just thinking about helping them out. I appreciate your words about the species and website.

Back
Top Bottom