A Random Converstion Between Some Fish Keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J.Mcpeak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Old scales, are you a catfish fan?

What is OS?

I agree sort of, nitrate guide vs timescale. I may agree completely if I've understood it right, change before not upon poisonous level.

HI McPeak,
Yes. Corydoras catfish are probably my favorite fish of all. Their antics show the joy of life. I also really like the syntodonis cats ie. the upside-down cat. Which catfish are you most interested in? And yes WC's before is what I meant. I set a max nitrate for the fish I have and test to that that limit. OS.
OS is my sign off for Old Scales. lol

To quote yoda, Daft I feel hmmm! OS, obvious now!:whistle:

Loricariidae, the sucker mouth catfish or plecostomus. Love them.

I love the barbels on synodontis sp. I agree with the corydoras.
I questioned it because of the "adipose" phrase.

Ok yes I absolutely agree with your statement.(y)

(I wish I could delete that question, what is OS)

Yoda too, fan I am. Bad feel not of OS question. Barbels cute on catfish yes.
Keep joy of fish you have. Later talk to you I will. OS.

For the benefit of all, I'm in a great mood because I just spent a bunch of money on a load of new stuff for the fish house including anew species of fish I have not yet had any experience with(y)

An un identified (to me) hill stream loach, I've always wanted some and today the opportunity presented itself, sorry sensible folks for my last few posts.

J. McPeak,
I just checked out your photos. Wow! How many clown loaches do you have? What is the size? Did you raise them from a spawn? Also, what is that huge pleco-looking fish in the one photo?. OS.

J. McPeak,
I just checked out your photos. Wow! How many clown loaches do you have? What is the size? Did you raise them from a spawn? Also, what is that huge pleco-looking fish in the one photo?. OS.

11 clowns, I've had the oldest 2 for almost all 8 years of my Fishkeeping hobby. Ask me how I did it:ROFLMAO: the biggest is maybe 17cm or so, 6-7 inches. I estimate them to be 6-10 years old, the youngest I've had for 5 or so years.

That's just a small ancistrus, a female Bristlenose. I had bigger suckers years ago in the big tank, a giant gibbiceps and an even BIGGER hypostomus(46cm/18") I had to let these go when I moved, not a chance of letting the clowns go! I made a temp tank just for them which is now empty I will modify it into a reef! Hurrah!

A better account can be found on my flickr page (my fishes and fish house set) only my current stock is on that, old stuff on a PC with a wobbly power supply.

Please call me Jamie.

The best whiskey is in Scotland! No question. All the major breweries in a smaller than any sized state piece of land! Peat or malt?

Jamie,
LOL Guiness Extra Stout and George Dickell are my downfalls. (Or is that fall downs?)
I have a shop just north of me that has a giant clown loach. The owner says he's 18 years old. It is about 14 to 15" long. He's the shop mascot. I didn't know ANY fish could live that long.

Fish drink all day too!

Jamie,
LOL Guiness Extra Stout and George Dickell are my downfalls. (Or is that fall downs?)
I have a shop just north of me that has a giant clown loach. The owner says he's 18 years old. It is about 14 to 15" long. He's the shop mascot. I didn't know ANY fish could live that long.

Clowns should live for some 30 years! Some fish have proper lifespans. They are chunky at that size. My first two lasted about three weeks, all the rest (11) have more than made up for it.

Guinness is a nice occasional drink for me, put a shot of Tia Maria in it! Lovely, it sweetens it up a bit. It really is tasty.
Fall downs indeed:ROFLMAO:
Never heard of George dickell, is that bitter?

Jamie,
Listen to this lady. She is the Jedi master of planted tanks. Half of us owe our success to this great lady. (Are you blushing yet, Janis?)
The George Dickell is a good Tennessee sipping bourbon whiskey. And not just any Guiness. It's got to be the extra stout. There's an outlaw Irish guy that hangs in here that got me onto it. You know how them 'paddys' drink. lol (HI Ian.)
Back to fish topic. When clowns get that big, what do you feed them? Regular fish food?
OS.

She's cool, the queen of planted tanks. She knows more about me than most people on here! Trust me we are cool!

Mostly my clowns eat bloodworm (prevents skinny disease) they also eat algae wafers, catfish pellets, carnivore sinking, spirulina flake, er I think that's it. They just eat more! I'm actually dreading ten years away! I already have a silly food bill but they are my fish.

Wow, it's amazing how one comment can generate so much excitement. I have a sponge filter thread no one has responded to. Maybe I should change the subject to, "I never change water." That topic seems to get attention.

Wow, it's amazing how one comment can generate so much excitement. I have a sponge filter thread no one has responded to. Maybe I should change the subject to, "I never change water." That topic seems to get attention.

You can't beat a good sponge filter when it comes to breeding fish. They were/are all I use(d). I had hundreds of them! :D

Is it OK to keep the air column above the water was my question. I got no answers.

Considering that the water flow is based on the air bubbles coming up the pipe and pulling water up with them, why would you want to stop the bubbles from leaving the pipe? Seems like that would keep the water flow down, not up. Now, a caviat to that would be if the pipe was much longer than "normal". It would still pull water but not at good a flow rate as if the bubbles left the tube. A slower flow rate could also create pockets for anaerobic bacteria which is not a good thing in a sponge filter.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom