a seahorse tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penguinsix

Aquarium Advice Regular
well i got excited to see that i could use my little one gallon tank for a dwarf seahorse. i was thinking about 2# of live rock and about 2-3 # of live sand. the tank has a cover that will alow up to a 15 watt bulb, what kind should i use if i don't use the florescent one it has? what should i use for water circulation if any? is there a small enough heater for it? and what about the baby brine shrimp, how should i rase them? is this tank even big enough? what critters if any should i put in there?

thanks.

I would have to say no to it being big enough.. but I'm no expert on seahorses so..

It sounds like a very difficult project but pretty cool too.. I think you will have a greater chance of success with a larger tank, plus I just feel it's cruel to keep them in such a small space.

Read everything you ever wanted to know about caring for dwarf seahorses at http://www.seahorse.org

You have to be careful about live rock and sand - could introduce hydroids which pack a deadly sting for the dwarfts. Keeping good water parameters in a 1 gallon might also be difficult, most people go with a 2.5-5 gallon.

Azoo palm filter is highly recommended for small seahorse tanks.

Brine shrimp are pretty easy - do a search on the above mentioned link and you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know!

I am presently cycling a 5 gallon for dwarfs. I can hardly wait!

Carolyn

If you can make it work...put up some pics for us when it's ready...should be interesting to see...sounds like a heck of a challenge

I wouldn't call it cruel to keep them in a small tank. From what I've read seahorses are darn near immobile, so swimming room is not much of an issue. For the dwarves, small tanks are generally recommended so you can localize their feedings as they won't swim after food. Stability is another issue.

I don't think mobility has anything to do with it.. just because someones paralyzed doesn't mean they are happy to stay in a small room all the time. To me such a small tank makes them more of an ornament than a pet.

I researched seahorses *a lot* when I started into the hobby, wanting to make it a project between a friend and I.. let's just say I think they're difficult to keep. I don't think one gallon is enough, I think you need to be pretty anal about this, and keep them in a larger one, and take any precautions that are possible to take..

well because of the immense difficulty just for the feeding of the dwarfs and the fact that i am going to probably set up a 20-30 gallon and put in some larger, easier to carefor seahorses

thats probably a better idea, i dont think any mobile critter would be too happy in a 1g, esp if its your first pico tank, it takes a while to get things to stabilize.

i was thining about getting some of the bigger ones and starting a species tank myself (i have a 20g i just cant let sit empty! i have MTS in a big way!!!), definitly keep us updated. were you thinking any species in particular yet?

I wouldn't call it cruel to keep them in a small tank. From what I've read seahorses are darn near immobile, so swimming room is not much of an issue. For the dwarves, small tanks are generally recommended so you can localize their feedings as they won't swim after food. Stability is another issue.

Not true. I have 2 seahorses and they swim all over the place. That is part of the fun in having them. Watching them scoot around the tank. I started out with having them in a Nano Cube but felt bad that they didn't have enough room so I bout a 26 gallon bow front tank and they are much much happier. These are not dwarfs but seahorses all the same.

Mike

i was thinking of 2 Hippocampus whitei and a neon goby.

i will probably get them from marinedepotlive.com when they start selling them again.

i dont know about that goby, i hear that almost anything will pick on seahorses. i wouldnt risk it, it would probably be a better idea to go with a species or biotype tank with them. they are really delicate.

I think you missed the part where it said "EXPERT"
I would do a lot of research and have the tank running for a good 4-6 months before you add any horses to make sure you can keep it stable....... JMO
Bigger is a better idea...
It should be a species ONLY tank.... I also read that a tall tank is better for them.

Back
Top Bottom