A VERY weird thing just happened. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so a bit of an update first that will tie into this little "incident"

I took out the fry from the 2.5 and replaced it with a Betta. What did I do with the fry? I put him in a little betta-cage and I put the cage in my tank do it looks like this:

image-3156945729.jpg

The fry is over 1.5 cm, and he's 7 weeks old now.

HERES THE BIG NEWS:

Somehow HE GOT OUT! He is unharmed, no worries, but the fry cage was empty and I was shocked to see him swimming around with his parents. I put him back in the cage, but there is literally NO way he could have gotten out. There are very tiny air holes in the cage but it's way too small for him to have gotten through. It's really impossible and I have no idea. The lid was shut and it makes zero sense.

Should I just set him free or should I leave him in his Betta cage? My only concern is the ghost shrimp might snatch him....

Questions after you've read my thread (ever so generously)

1. Is it safe to let the fry out of his cage since he wasn't being chased or anything when he escaped?

2. Will the ghost shrimp grab him and eat him?

I would suggest keeping him in there. I put mine in too early and suffered the consequences :/ you can never be too safe in this situation.

Pckerfreak44 said:
I would suggest keeping him in there. I put mine in too early and suffered the consequences :/ you can never be too safe in this situation.

I hope he doesn't get out AGAIN!

I'd leave him in there until he is too big to fit into anyone's mouth, including the shrimp. Then you'll be good.

Bettafanatic said:
I'd leave him in there until he is too big to fit into anyone's mouth, including the shrimp. Then you'll be good.

Is 7 weeks sensible

Bettafanatic said:

He's 7 weeks old is that ok

It depends on the size of the fish in your tank but i think one inch would be sufficient. Is he fully colored yet?

Bettafanatic said:
It depends on the size of the fish in your tank but i think one inch would be sufficient. Is he fully colored yet?

Yes he is fully red about 1.5 cm. when he escaped everyone left him alone though. I might keep him safe for just a little bit longer. He is in a 10 gallon tank

I've had him for 7 weeks. I'm surprised he's not bigger than he is now. If I remember correctly, when we had guppies in our 72 gallon, they were already half adults within a month.

Bettafanatic said:

Scratch that, he's still a bit orange. His parents are very dark red so he's nowhere near that color

I don't think the ghost shrimps would harm the platty at all. Also when my guppies gave birth, I put the fry in the tank with the rest of the fish after 4 weeks with no problem.

Bettafanatic said:
And how big are the parents? Are they a lot bigger than him, twice his size, et cetera?

They are full size. Honestly, my platys are the biggest platys ive ever seen. They are nearly 3". My mom thought they were goldfish

spineylives said:
I don't think the ghost shrimps would harm the platty at all. Also when my guppies gave birth, I put the fry in the tank with the rest of the fish after 4 weeks with no problem.

I've been getting a lot of answers like yours. I think what I'll do is release him from his enclosure and see what happens, observe for at least 20 minutes. If nothing goes wrong I think I can trust him.

I've been getting a lot of answers like yours. I think what I'll do is release him from his enclosure and see what happens, observe for at least 20 minutes. If nothing goes wrong I think I can trust him.

That sounds like a good plan. If the platies are the biggest fish you have then there'll definitely be no problem at all. I think your fry will be happy to finish growing with his own kind. Good luck!

Bettafanatic said:
That sounds like a good plan. If the platies are the biggest fish you have then there'll definitely be no problem at all. I think your fry will be happy to finish growing with his own kind. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I will update you guys!

Back
Top Bottom