AAARRRGGHHH Too many skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have to make a decision. It is either save and get a Deltec or bubble king skimmer (could take some time to get either one). It is either that or get an MRC MR-1 or a EuroReef skimmer.

Any words of wisdom here would be great.

I know that it is one beckett skimmer to 3 needle wheel skimmers

I heard that becketts require a lot more maintenance then needle wheels .... i am so fricken confused ... i have done so much research now that it hurts my brain now.

3' Black Maristar Kit
Includes: BW 7-Dual MH 250w HQI, 2-36" True Actinic 39w T5 Actinic, 2-10k Double Ended MH 250w HQI

That is what i am getting for a light.

I have a Euro Reef CS6-2+. I love its performance, but I had a minor problem with it and Euro Reef wasn't very helpful. The o-ring in the neck broke after 2 months service, and when I called Euro Reef, they wouldn't send me the o-ring. I understand they dont sell to "end users" but come on. My tank needs the skimmer and the skimmer needed the o-ring. I ended up having to get it from another dealer. That's the last time I will buy Euro Reef. It's either ASM (same thing for cheaper) or Deltec from now on. There are my 2 cents worth.

I use CPR skimmers, both a bak pak and a SR4. I have read lots of posts about Euro skimmers so based on popularity they seem to take the cake. My personal experience with the CPRs is pretty good. They need adjusting every now and again but once you get the hang of em, they work great. I would recommend the Bak Pak series from CPR however. I am not crazy about the production of the SR4. Bottom line from my point of view is if you have the ca$h go for a Euro.

Peace.

As long as the skimmer does the job it's supposed to do (ie: buying any reputable brand, CPR, AquaC, Euro etc...), you're gonna be happy. People will be partial to their brand of course, because they all work. Just comes down to personal preference and size limitations and what not. Don't go inexpensive when buying a skimmer and make sure it fits with your system design and all will be fine.

Ryan

As long as the skimmer does the job it's supposed to do (ie: buying any reputable brand, CPR, AquaC, Euro etc...), you're gonna be happy. People will be partial to their brand of course, because they all work. Just comes down to personal preference and size limitations and what not. Don't go inexpensive when buying a skimmer and make sure it fits with your system design and all will be fine.

Ryan

This is part in the reason that i was originally thinking of getting a MRC skimmer. They are REALLY well put together and they are a good quality beckett skimmer.

Grant it my tank will have a total water volume of up to 135 gallons, but i think it will do a great job. I was originally thinking of getting an MR-2 and going from there. Sure it handles up to 300 gallons but that gives me some play with upgrades.

my thunks on MRC or beckett skimmers?

Im using a Coralife superskimmer and I have no complaints. After a small modification I no longer haver to empty the cup anymore. But now the newer models come with a drain.

Back
Top Bottom