About Ghost Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it a good idea, to put 2 ghost shrimp in my acuarium? I heard that they can clean all the botton of the acuarium.

Thanks.

As long as you don't have fish big enough that they will eat the shrimp, yes, they will do fine. Though I don't know if two ghost shrimp by themselves would be a sufficient "cleanup crew" for a tank of any substantial size at all. Maybe for a 10 gal or smaller that would be enough, but for anything larger it would take more than just 2.

I have probably closer to 20 ghost shrimps in my 10g with a few guppies. I started with 10-15 now its closer to 20-25 and a few are saddled (aka pregnant). I would agree that two on their own would be pretty useless as far as a clean up crew goes. If you just wanted two, I would go with Amano shrimp, they are much more efficient algae eaters than ghost shrimp.

If you can find ghost shrimp at your LFS they are usually less than a quarter a piece.. HTH :)

My sevrum saw several ghost shrimp, and had a nice lunch out of them... As long as the other fish in your tank won't eat them, I would suggest at least 6-12 of them. They tend to hide, and become hard to find. I have never heard of anyone actually using them as a "clean-up crew" but they do eat junk off the substrate. Be sure to give them plenty of hiding places. They tend to like lots of plants too.

They are deff very fast to find food dropped on the bottom, they have a great sense of smell

I had some but most of them got eaten. They were cheap when i got them. I think they were 5 for $1.

I thought I would add that most ghost shrimp are raised to be food. Therefore, they are not the most hardy of creatures. I once picked up 5 of them and only 3 were left the next morning.

" They tend to like lots of plants too. "

Ghost shrimp will not bother the plants. They are actually eating the algae off the plants... not the plants themselves.

Back
Top Bottom