? about Petsmart Betta Fish I saw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pygora

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking in Petsmart the other day and I have a question about the condition of the Betta fish that I saw. They had them in their little containers like always but the water was like a blue color. It was dark enough to hardly be able to see the fish and you couldn't really tell what colors they were or the condition they were in. I started checking them out and saw a few dead ones, some with a lot of gunk in their containers, and some just seemed like they were ok. What in the world is the blue???? I've never seen this done with any other bettas. Was the store trying to hide the condition of the fish? (Seemed like it cause you could barely see them!) Or were they being treated for something?

I was wondering the same. I think it's a chemical they use to prevent diseases; there is a lot of ammonia build up in those cups.
Sometimes when you order fish they come with Bag Buddies, I think it's a sedative to help the fish through shipment and also turns the water blue.
But yes you're right, it is hard to see the fish. Fish club auctions sometimes discourage the use of such chemicals because people don't want to buy fish they can't see clearly!

Most often it's methylene blue to prevent infection and some poisonings from being is such close quarters.

petsmart fish

I was wondering. I didn't want to buy something that was unhealthy and I couldn't see! I thought they might be treating something and wondered if they had the dose right for the size if they were. Seems like an awful small size container to get a right size dose if you ask me.

They add a anti fungal to the water to help keep them from getting any type disease. The blue color is there so the bettas are not constantly flaring at each other during shipping and getting stressed out.

Well that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it. :)

Yup. At our local store, we use "betta buddies" condition, or something like that. We still change the water twice a week and, at least at our location, we are really good about getting any sick fish help. From fin rot to bloat, to fungal infections...

I do believe we will be switching over to regular conditioner, though, since the stuff we've been using hasn't really proven itself to be all that useful in keep the fish stress free. I'm not a big fan of keeping them constantly medicated, either. Thats gotta be like living in a bubble most of your life, then suddenly being thrust into a world full of germs.

Back
Top Bottom