? about seed material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annielauri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I am going to get some gravel from a friends tank to hopefully speed up my cycling process after reading about it in this forum.

I have a 20 gal. tank. How much should I get and what exactly do I do with it? I have read in some threads that it goes in the filter, in others that you should put it in a nylon and just hang it??? What is best. And, how long do you need to leave it in your tank?

Thanks in advance for your expert input!!! :D

If you don't mind the seed gravel making a permanent residence in your tank, it's best to just scatter it. However, if it's a different color, pantyhose works great, just like Zagz said. Just let it sit in your tank, and every day or so "squish" it to try to distribute what you can off of it onto your gravel. You might not see anything, but stuff is coming off.

Thank you!!! I am getting worried about all of the water changes stressing the fish, not to mention the high ammonia stressing them. :( I get nervous coming home from work everyday thinking that someone else might have died while I was gone!! Spike didn't look sick at all when I went to work yesterday.

The water changes may frighten them when it's going on, but it's a lot better for them to get that clean water.

Best not to assume so I'll ask, is your friends tank established and healthy? (For over a month) Do you have a test kit? Good luck, seed material is the way to go.

The stress the fish will feel over the pwc's is nothing compared to the feeling the ammonia spikes will cause them. They will also adjust to regular and frequent pwc's and learn to appreciate them.

Ok, I am soooooooooo excited!!! I didn't get a ton, but got about 4 oz. of gravel. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! It is from a very well established tank. I think 5 yrs or more. I put it in the nylon, did a 50% water change on my tank and added the old sockarooni! I have squished it twice in the past 4 hrs. I think I will leave it alone till the morning. I hope it has some good gunk in it!

Back
Top Bottom