Above ground ponds in south eastern Ohio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aftyrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My question is if I have a 100%above ground pond (thinking about using a giant blue swimming pool) will it completely freeze since it is not in the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No answers at all?

Yes. Definitely. You will have to winterize it in some way to protect it. If it doesn't manage to freeze completely through then it'll most likely be due to the fact that the walls will fail.

I'm no expert on ponds but I believe in colder climates people bring their fish to indoor holding areas which are much easier to keep heated and keep fish safe. Then they drain the pond because when water cools it contracts and then as it freezes it expands which will cause tons of damage. Again I'm no expert on ponds and haven't the slightest clue about pond equipment..but I would imagine you'd need some pretty awesome equipment to keep it going during the winter in freezing temperatures.

No it won't freeze solid. You will need a deicer pump or doughnut heater and aeration to keep a hole in the surface open for gas exchange. Goldfish, koi, and other species that can winter over will be just fine add long as the water is liquid. If you keep the water moving it should be fine, but the doughnut heater would be a very good idea to use in combination with a pump or air stone.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my pond before the snow started. It was 22F when I took this picture. The snow is stacking up, but my filter is turning at least 2500gph so the water stays in motion and liquid. I think I'll get some ice on it by the end of this storm, we'll see. Mine is in ground, but the same principle applies to above ground. My goldfish spent last winter on a 70 gallon agricultural tub on my deck. It had 9 inches of ice before it was over with, but I had a pump that kept the water liquid underneath.

Attachments

• 1453524780719.jpg
    1453524780719.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 58
Here's a picture of it this morning. We've gotten about 10 inches of snow and an additional inch or so of sleet in the last 24 hours. (And it's still snowing!)

Attachments

• 1453556884617.jpg
    1453556884617.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 58
An important key is to keep a hole at the surface to prevent harmful gases from building up.
Having said that, I forgot to setup the surface heater on my small pond prior to the arrival of the current storm. It is under +1.5' of snow. I have mosquito fish, a hardy lily, a lotus and dwarf sag in there.

Wow and the fish survive? That's incredible!

Goldies hibernate below 50 metabolism slows down to almost nothing. I stopped feeding in October. This year I'll probably let that ride out a little longer to November because the water was still 60 degrees then.

An important key is to keep a hole at the surface to prevent harmful gases from building up.
Having said that, I forgot to setup the surface heater on my small pond prior to the arrival of the current storm. It is under +1.5' of snow. I have mosquito fish, a hardy lily, a lotus and dwarf sag in there.

They'll probably be okay for a while. Slow metabolism also means slow respiration.

both the inflatable type pools and the thin walled pools will freeze with out a doubt the plastic type will crack just from the cold , I would avoid a pool for a pond as
with it freezing it will expand and contract causing catastrophic failure as it rips the pool to shreds , as Ice can freeze up to 2ft depending how cold it is where you are ,
now if you could build a insulated box around it with a cover sort of on the line of the box around a hot tub you may have a fighting chance it would work , as it could help keep it a little above freezing . I couldn't tell you for sure as I have no idea how cold it gets in Ohio ,
I am no expert on ponds as that's really not my thing as where I live and all the wild life would eat all the fish , but if I did have a above ground pond this would be the direction I would go ,

I'm thinking I'm going to constantly feed it water from my creek or spring but would there be a way to keep eggs/fish from getting into local water system if I do that or is this a terrible idea?

I'm thinking I'm going to constantly feed it water from my creek or spring but would there be a way to keep eggs/fish from getting into local water system if I do that or is this a terrible idea?

This doesn't sound like a very good idea- although I know of a koi pond that is fed by a local stream that doesn't have problems. It drains from the top with a stand pipe, and the creek is too small to support fish life so any eggs would not result in invasive species issues.

My spring is just a trickle even dry some parts of the year the creek just has more flat land to place the pond plus creek never freezes.

My spring is just a trickle even dry some parts of the year the creek just has more flat land to place the pond plus creek never freezes.

This could work, but you're definitely getting into the realm of permits, etc. I would anticipate it costing much more than building an above or in ground pond. I have a design for an above ground, rubber lined pond that is easy to construct and could even be moved if you had to. It'd be moved like a pool table though- complete disassembly. It's 4x4s and galvanized lag bolts.

Back
Top Bottom