above ground pool for temporary koi home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koicowboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am upsizing my koi pond and need to find temporary accommodation for four 12 inch koi and a couple of little guys. I just bought a kids above ground pool as a temporary storage facility but the pool instructions say don't even use it as a temporary home. Does anyone know if this would be hazardous to the fish?

Is this a kiddie pool, or a full-sized above ground pool with built in filtration?

I'd imagine the only dangers would be fish getting trapped in filtration units not desinged to screen them out, and plastics fumes.

I've seen instructions for raising live rock in kiddie pools over the summer, so I don't think that type of plastic poses a real risk.

If this is a full-sized pool, maybe you can find a way to screen over the filter intake/outlet and just run a big airstone in there.

i did that yesterday with a 675 gallon blow up pool . they were fine . i have about 30 fish

It shouldn't be a problem for short term holding. I'd let it cycle for a week or 2 first, then a major water change before adding the fish. Just so that anything that can leech from the plastic, would do so in the first week, then get it out with the water change.
Make sure it's placed in the shade though!!
Above ground will affect temperature a lot quicker.

I am upsizing my koi pond and need to find temporary accommodation for four 12 inch koi and a couple of little guys. I just bought a kids above ground pool as a temporary storage facility but the pool instructions say don't even use it as a temporary home. Does anyone know if this would be hazardous to the fish?

If they say don't use it dont. There are some you can.
Nice to know I'm not the only one who reads the instructions after I GET HOME.

Back
Top Bottom